Gibson Brands Forums

volume location on the Nighthawk

spooki

Hey Nighthawk lovers. I'm a new member and really enjoy this site. I seem to be the only one effected by this, but the volume control is always in my way. Has anyone else went the mile of relocating it? I hate to do so, but I can't seem to adjust my playing habits. I've given it a 3 month grace period with hope of change on my part, but to no avail. Most Nighthawk players are Strat fans and are used to this I assume. I went from a Epi LP Standard to this fine guitar because of the weight. I do miss the deeper tone vs the twang but this guitar is awesome and meets my needs to the max. You gotta love the neck on this guitar. I did order the Callaham saddles for it. Seems like that is #1 on most of what I've read. I guess my question answers itself. Move it or adjust to it. I was just wondering if anyone has had this concern and found another option. You guys and gals rock on this site. It's awesome!!.. Thanks....

3 months isn't long. In time you WILL get used to it. It just takes more time than you are expecting. I assume from this you are a fairly new player and have a lifetime of playing in front of you. If so, i would strongly suggest you just let it go and in time you will get used to it. Over a lifetime of playing you are going to run into this with a lot of guitars, and you really need to get used to it or you will have problems your whole life with various guitars because there are a lot of them. I had the same issue with strats when i first started and like you i relocated them, much easier on a strat because you need only make a custom pickguard. But i went thru a lot of guitars and finally just decided it was too much trouble to always have to relocate them. So i lived with it and eventually i got 100% past that issue and it never was a problem since. I wish i could tell you how long it took, but that was 30 years ago.

3 months isn't long. In time you WILL get used to it. It just takes more time than you are expecting. I assume from this you are a fairly new player and have a lifetime of playing in front of you. If so, i would strongly suggest you just let it go and in time you will get used to it. Over a lifetime of playing you are going to run into this with a lot of guitars, and you really need to get used to it or you will have problems your whole life with various guitars because there are a lot of them. I had the same issue with strats when i first started and like you i relocated them, much easier on a strat because you need only make a custom pickguard. But i went thru a lot of guitars and finally just decided it was too much trouble to always have to relocate them. So i lived with it and eventually i got 100% past that issue and it never was a problem since. I wish i could tell you how long it took, but that was 30 years ago.

Thanks, I'll give it more time. Hard to change old habits I guess.

I had the same problem in about 1971 when I switched from a Gibson SG Standard to a Fender Strat. They felt different, they hung totally differently on me--I'd been wearing the SG about hip level, and the Strat wound up about stomach-high by the time I got comfortable with it--now I play everything about stomach-high, even SG's, my right-hand position changed to fit the lower bridge on the Strat, and the volume knob position was the least of my worries! As I recall, it took me about six months to get used to the Strat. I like the volume knob closer to the strings now, but at the time, I kept bumping it for a while. Just play your Nighthawk a lot and try to get used to it--it's really a lot easier to do volume swells if you can manage it. You might also try raising up your strap a little--that should have the effect of shortening up your picking-hand strum strokes.

I had the same problem in about 1971 when I switched from a Gibson SG Standard to a Fender Strat. They felt different, they hung totally differently on me--I'd been wearing the SG about hip level, and the Strat wound up about stomach-high by the time I got comfortable with it--now I play everything about stomach-high, even SG's, my right-hand position changed to fit the lower bridge on the Strat, and the volume knob position was the least of my worries! As I recall, it took me about six months to get used to the Strat. I like the volume knob closer to the strings now, but at the time, I kept bumping it for a while. Just play your Nighthawk a lot and try to get used to it--it's really a lot easier to do volume swells if you can manage it. You might also try raising up your strap a little--that should have the effect of shortening up your picking-hand strum strokes.

Thanks for the advice and I will give it more time. I am just so used to doing my muting with heel resting on the bridge.

Archived