Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Estate

abqjack

An auction is starting June 8 for items from the estate of Les Paul. Here is a link:

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/71/

there is a Les Paul Jumbo acoustic/electric among the estate items, here is a direct link

http://www.julienslive.com/view-auct...rom/find-lots/

FYI, here is another Les Paul jumbo currently on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300720343753... 4.m1438.l2649

• 2 weeks later...
post-44651-026231200 1339987394_thumb.jpgI bought a few items from the Les Paul Estate auction, one of them is a 35th anniv. LP thats routed for a humbucker in the bridge position ans 2 single coils in the mid and neck position, still trying to decide if I should do anything with this or leave it alone.

post-44651-026231200 1339987394_thumb.jpgI bought a few items from the Les Paul Estate auction, one of them is a 35th anniv. LP thats routed for a humbucker in the bridge position ans 2 single coils in the mid and neck position, still trying to decide if I should do anything with this or leave it alone.

Hello, after thinking about your question, there is no doubt that I would have to put the guitar into playing condition to get the full enjoyment of my investment.

I think I would get bored with it otherwise.

That being said, I would take many pictures of it with full documentation before taking that 'next step'...

Good Luck in your decision!

I spoke to Tom Murphy yesterday about having this restored, and tom and I discussed how to document the resto on this, Tom suggested putting a black finish on it to keep with the other 35th anniversarys, now it's a matter of coming up with what pups to use and how to do the wiring, it's routed for a humbucker in the bridge and 2 single coils in the mid and neck position so as soon as I come up with a pup and wiring scheme it will be taking a trip to Tom's shop.

I had no idea of what degree that you wanted (or if) to take a restoration... I, personally, would do my own. Simply because I am capable. I would agree, however, that a "Tom Murphy restoration" would be worth more bucks than a "do-it yourself resto"!

....for re-sale value.

Glad that you got some competant help.

Now do your homework on the pickup/wiring detail.

Please give updates on this project. I,for one, would like to see the results!!!

My first thoughts with the pickups are to put a P90 or a Alnico V staple pup in the bridge and the low impedance single coils like the ones that are in the LP recording models(they are very hard to find) in the mid and neck positions, as far as the wiring goes the first thought that i had was to have a master volume for each p/u and a single master tone pot, a 3way p/u selector with bridge/bridge&middle/neck, the bridge and mid I believe would have to be wired out of phase, I could be way off i'm not a electronics guy, but it was just a thought.

Just to get clarity, is the guitar natural finished at this time?....or un-finished?

I would try and determine for what pickups it is routed for presently....strat scoils or Gibson MM-type scoils? Apparently it is routed for a standard Gibson Hbucker and not a P90?

My thought would be to use pickups that don,t require any further routing. Use standard Les Paul Custom (3 pickup)(2vol,2tone) wiring and see how you like it.

In short, I would be inclined to just make it playable 'as is' and worry about re-finish down the road. I think a re-finish would best be done after the hardware choices are made and complete. I like the idea of a black top and leave the rest natural. Add a pickguard.

Just my 2 cents. Of course, there are many more options...

I understand what you are saying and I feel the same way, the guitar has no finish on it now, and I will not be modifying the pickup routes or any other part of it to accomadate other pickups, switches or anything like that, i'm going to use pickups that will fit in the guitar as it is.

Man,,thats a tuff choice on that one,,on one hand,,one would like to see it completed,,and able to play it,,but on the other hand leaving it "as is" would maybe make it worth more $$ if you ever wanted to sell it. Id probably complete it,,and just play the daylights out of it,,and keep it as a family heirloom to pass down to others.

• 1 month later...

Archived