Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner motor sound but nothing turns!

bkunrath

Hi Gibson fans,

... got access to ths forum in "write mode" - hurray.

OK, stop kidding, here's my problem and I'm out of reading in the forum<g>.

Bought a very nice LP in green (the colour was actually the main reason; but its a robot as you might assume from this forum) on ebay.

Problem: Everything is OK, but the tuners don't move/turn - thats why it has been sold<g>.

Now the details: I can hear the noise of the motor and see the flashing yellow lights on the MCK for every string and hear the respective tuner make a motor noise - but it doesn't turn. The LED at the neck CPU changes from green to blue flashing while the noise comes from the tuner. So I assume it's pure mechanical defect...

Are they simply mechanically damaged due to not disengaging while using them manually - all 6 of them? Any hints for buying replacement tuners?

Ciao, Bernd (greetings from the wild south of Germany)

http://www.beyond-atlantic.com

• 3 weeks later...

Did you manage to fix this problem? I seem to have something similar, everything works as it should, the only problem is that the G-string won't tune. The motor makes a sound, but the peg doesn't move.

It is a bit more loose than it should be, compared to the other five, when pushed in.

If anyone has any idea what's wrong, I would appreciate your help, thanks! :)

• 5 months later...

Did you manage to fix this problem? I seem to have something similar, everything works as it should, the only problem is that the G-string won't tune. The motor makes a sound, but the peg doesn't move.

It is a bit more loose than it should be, compared to the other five, when pushed in.

If anyone has any idea what's wrong, I would appreciate your help, thanks! :)

Yes, I did exactly what GuitarBuilder mentioned to do and bought 4 new ones (actually they're coming from Germany as me - funnny; and BTW with extreme shipping prices from Germany to Germany) and replaced them.

AFTER two months the first of the new ones broke again - sh*t!

Even tried to fix them by myself opening up. Tried the glue thing some of the other users tried in the forum - with no long lastic effect.

The mistery of these tuners seems to be a little spring which is inside - on the broken ones it'll be somehow inside but not working - anyway I'm thinking of giving up and replacing the whole stuff with oridnary tuners ... it just doesn't work for me.

Ciao, Bernd

Archived