Gibson Brands Forums

SERIAL NUMBER

KAGYPSO

=P~ I'D LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO TRANSLATE THE SERIAL NUMBER OF MY NEW GIBSON DSR-CE THAT I'VE JUST BOUGHT IN MY COUNTRY (ITALY). THE SERIAL NUMBER IS 028380150 CAN ANYONE HELP ME ? i've already looked in the blue book but i havn't be able to find an answer. Many thanks to anyone who wants to help me.

I'm not sure how the Canadian models are coded, but you might want to double check to make sure you don't have an extra number in the one you posted. The regular Bozeman acoustic models are coded like this:

Example: 01804048

The 1st and 5th numbers represent the year of manufacture.

The 2nd, 3rd and 4th number represent the day of the year that the headstock was stamped. The last 3 numbers represent the order that it was stamped on that particular day.

Since your number has an extra digit, I'm not sure if they're coding them differently for the Canadian models or not.

Here's the link to the Gibson website that tells how to decode it:

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Support/SerialNumberSearch/

The 1st and 5th digits represent the year of manufacture. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th represent the day of the year. The last three digits represent the order that it was manufactured on that day.

The Bozeman Gibsons use an 8 digit serial number. In an 8 digit serial number, the 1-5 and 6-8 digits all mean the same as with a 9 digit number.

According to the Gibson website, Gibson USA started using a 9 digit number in 2005. In the 9 digit serial number, the 6th digit indicates a "batch number". The factory starts at "0" each day and once they get to 699, the batch number changes to "1".

Based on the number you posted, yours was manufactured on the 283rd day of 2008 and it was the 150th guitar manufactured in the first batch on that day.

Archived