Gibson Brands Forums

Found the buzzer - ABR-1 saddle retainer

My ES175 sound and plays verry good but last few weeks I noticed a buzzing sound when I play it accoustic.

I removed pickguard: still the buzz is there

I lifted the wires of the pot-meters so they don't touch the body: still the buzz is there.

Now I found this article about a buzzing ABR-1 saddle retainer.

They give a solution for it:

use a small, flat-head screwdriver to push down on the retaining wire between all six saddles. Doing this forces a slight kink into the wire which tightens the wire and forces it more snuggly against the saddle screws.

I recommend going from one end to the other and kinking gradually rather than forcing large kinks in all in one go. It’s possible to force one or more too far and affect their ‘saddle holding’ ability so go slow.

and the golden advice coming free with this:

You should consider it a necessity to cut some thick card (a couple of thicknesses is best) to place on the guitar top, under the bridge. It’s incredibly easy to slip and stab your AAAAA-grade quilted maple top with a screwdriver blade. You don’t want that. Protect the guitar before you start jabbing screwdrivers at it.

Picture:

trickyornot.jpg

Should I give it a go, I am handy enough but are there people here with experience with this, maybe I oversee something. Any advice is highly appreciated.

IF it is buzzing, do it. If it isn't, DON'T do it. You might actually make it buzz when it isn't.

To find out if that is where the buzz is coming from, you simply re-create the buzzing and gently place that little scewdriver on the wire and see if it goes away. If it does, this will also tell you where to bend it and when you have eliminated it.

I read the article at work now I am home I see I have another type of saddle...no wire at all...now I start hearing the buzzing everywhere of course...the humbucker, the knobs, aaarch. Why can't a guitare of 3800euro not just be perfect.

Can the humbucker (closed to the bridge) be the buzzing giver? You can move it up and down, well, not really up and down it is more tilt it (if tilt is a word). I asked my son to "tilt" it and I could not hear the buzzing. After he removed his finger I still couldn't hear it any more only when I heavy stroke the strings...and after a while it was there again...so I tilt the humbucker a few times again...and the buzz seems less.

Any ideas what is happening here? Anyone else with this kind of experience?

I lowered the humbucker, the one closest to saddle. And the lower buzzing sound is gone. Very happy about that!

The B and G string are still giving me a kind of a sitar sound.

Now I checked the tonation (I first heared of it today in another topic) and my G and B string are played loose perfectly in tune and pressed on the 12th fret they are to high. So I adjusted that, maked the string "longer". For the B it worked well, that is now also on the 12th fred in tune. But the G string...I can not put that piece of the sadle far enough to the right to lower the note, to make the string longer.

I could turn it so the saddle piece head is more to the right. Now it looks like:|\ and by put it in the other way around it looks like: /| but the little cut in that little iron triangle is not in the middle, meaning that I need to make a new cut...and that is something I don't goin to do...but at least I have a story to tell at the luthier I am going to visit mid August.

The sitar sound is also less now I adjusted the tonation.

Archived