Gibson Brands Forums

What TBird is this? Mods

Keats

Hi there!

I recently bought in second hand this Epiphone Thunderbird, but it came with no extra documentation and I don't know much about this bass. The serial number is UC08020113, I searched some websites and according to them my bass was made in Unsung China in Feb 2008, is this correct?

I would like to know which pickups are those and what are the major differences between the Gibson TB plus humbuckers and the Epiphone TB plus ones. I'm looking for a dark and thick sound and I'm willing to do some mods. Can I use a .050-.0110 set of strings without causing too much tension on the bass?

Thanks for your help.

Regards!

post-45167-059956100 1341434432_thumb.jpg

post-45167-027374100 1341434443_thumb.jpg

post-45167-088217200 1341434456_thumb.jpg

Can anybody qualified help me please?

Hi there!

I recently bought in second hand this Epiphone Thunderbird, but it came with no extra documentation and I don't know much about this bass. The serial number is UC08020113, I searched some websites and according to them my bass was made in Unsung China in Feb 2008, is this correct?

I would like to know which pickups are those and what are the major differences between the Gibson TB plus humbuckers and the Epiphone TB plus ones. I'm looking for a dark and thick sound and I'm willing to do some mods. Can I use a .050-.0110 set of strings without causing too much tension on the bass?

Thanks for your help.

Regards!

Yes you can use that gauge of strings on your T-bird, but you will most likely need to adjust the truss rod due to the higher gauge.

I'm not sure about the difference in the pick ups, the ones in your looks like the standard pick ups that are in most T-birds that I see, the same that were in my old one that I sold a while back. It did sound alot darker than my silver burst T-bird that I own now.

Thank you Rob!

Yes you can use that gauge of strings on your T-bird, but you will most likely need to adjust the truss rod due to the higher gauge.

I'm not sure about the difference in the pick ups, the ones in your looks like the standard pick ups that are in most T-birds that I see, the same that were in my old one that I sold a while back. It did sound alot darker than my silver burst T-bird that I own now.

Archived