Gibson Brands Forums

A question about "back-ordered" guitars

crust

So, do the musical instrument "distributors" see how many guitars will be ordered, send the info to Epiphone/Gibson so they don't make an "over run" ? Just a little curious why Epiphone would take 6-7 months to have advertised guitar(s)ready to be shipped.

The present methods being used by Epiphone are kinda weird, IMO.. and are very likely contributing to many very disappointed potential Epiphone long term customers.

Another factor may be the aspect of manufacturing-by-remote-control, whereas marketing departments are far-removed from the actual factory floor.

It's definitely a weird process, not commonly practiced in any other consumer product production, as far as I'm aware. Aircraft and high end hand-built cars are commonly produced this way, but not consumer goods.

I would guesstimate that Epiphone is losing many customers with these production methods.. consumers aren't necessarily patient creatures, IME, and are constantly exposed to many other company's products.

From what I've read here, it's not just that a delivery date is "predicted", but that many potential buyers often discover that the delivery date cannot be met, and they must then wait several more months for a future predicted delivery date.

I really doubt that any real or imagined cost savings will be realized after disappointed and/or impatient buyers buy products from other manufacturers.. but then, I'm no MBA.

Bill

So, do the musical instrument "distributors" see how many guitars will be ordered, send the info to Epiphone/Gibson so they don't make an "over run" ? Just a little curious why Epiphone would take 6-7 months to have advertised guitar(s)ready to be shipped.

Archived