Gibson Brands Forums

Question about Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro pickups

Hello everyone

I just bought an Epiphone LP Custom Pro, I've been playing for many years, but always on a bottom-of-the-barrel guitar. I'm very happy with my purchase, especially considering what I used to play. Anyway - the decal peel-off stickers that were placed on the pickups had the following information on them:

-Alnico classic magnets

-authentic coil shape/size

-nickel/silver base plate

-braided insulation wire

-double vacuum waxed

-4 conductor wire

I'm just a bit confused as pertaining to the top line - "alnico classic magnets" - the custom pro is supposed to have the new ProBuckers in them, but that info confuses me. Is that what I should expect on the decals for ProBuckers or might they actually have the older Alnico Classics in them, which i hear are muddier sounding etc...I must say I think my current pickups sound quite nice.

I bought the guitar brand new from an authorized dealer - dv247.com here in the UK, London. Sorry for my seemingly stupid question. I just have to make sure

Thanks for your time

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah i figured I'd have to do that, but I can't be bothered. I did get a reply from Epiphone Europe though:

"Thank you for your interest in Gibson.

The Probuckers have alnico classic magnets in them; it doesn’t mean that the pickups themselves are Alnico Classics. It can be a bit confusing indeed."

Anyway, cheers.

Archived