Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod

JB101

ok just playing guitar and it was buzzing on a fret and i thought i will adjust the neck a little and started turning the nut it didnt do ANYTHING so i thought maybe a little more and the nut came out and this is what i was looking at [confused]

post-45598-024481000 1342663491_thumb.jpg

Hi JB, welcome to the forum.. your picture isn't clear enough to determine what your parts are, also, you should mention more details about the age and model of your guitar.

Here are some pics for comparison:

My Flickr Truss Rod Set link

7101413079_e371e9c7b5_z.jpg

Bill

ok just playing guitar and it was buzzing on a fret and i thought i will adjust the neck a little and started turning the nut it didnt do ANYTHING so i thought maybe a little more and the nut came out and this is what i was looking at [confused]

From what I can see (so far) I believe that your truss rod broke inside your neck. There are repair kits for guitars suffering from this problem. Check "Stew-Mac". Now, I may be wrong about it being broken but it appears that way from your thumbnail. Is it an expensive model? Send the make and model,would ya? Rednefceleb. Good luck and good health.

Sorry guys for the picture being so small

Bill its a Epi Studio,08

Update about the guitar it will put more "BOW' in the neck but i can't get it to lossen so that it is straight

(sorry for the lack of knowledge in new to this)

Bill its a Epi Studio,08

Update about the guitar it will put more "BOW' in the neck but i can't get it to lossen so that it is straight

You need to tighten the truss rod to take relief out (straighten) of the neck.

The amount of adjustment to set relief should typically be 1/4 to a 1/2 turn.

Presenting a small picture isn't the issue, since it turns up as a zoom/blow-up when clicked (for me anyway) but it's not clear. It looks as though a circle was drawn (using a photo editor) around the end of the truss rod, so what's showing isn't very clear.

It almost appears as though there is a tube around the end of the truss rod, but that effect could be from something else.

Using a toothpick, wire/straightened end of a paper clip etc, check the depth of the hole on the threaded end of the nut.. it should be about 1/2" or 13mm deep. This will check that the end of the truss rod isn't broken off in the nut.

Estimate the length of the exposed thread at the end of the truss rod.. it should be about 1/4" or 6mm long.. this will check that the end of the truss rod hasn't broken off and gotten lost.

Note: there should be a small washer present on the threaded end of the truss rod, which could fall out if one is unaware of it's presence. That would make the threaded end of the truss rod longer than 1/4".

The washer is clearly shown in the image I posted earlier.

If the end of the truss rod isn't broken off (and no other obstruction is present inside the nut's threaded hole) the truss rod should operate properly as a single-action truss rod.

The nut turns 5 full turns (after just starting to engage the threads) until it stops, on the Les Paul single-action truss rod (bolt-on neck) that I have in front of me.

If you have back bow in the neck, a single action truss rod won't provide the tension needed to attain more neck relief, IMO. You may need to put some heavy/thick strings on the guitar to cautiously coax the neck to pull up over time (maybe weeks).. but it would most likely be worthwhile to have an experienced luthier correct the problem.

Attempting to straighten the neck without experience can cause the neck to twist, break or create other problems.

No one can actually see the problem, except you. You didn't fill in the country you're located in in your personal information, so it's not clear where you are.. and location affects the length of the Epiphone warranty, if you are the original owner of the guitar and it was purchased from an authorized dealer. If the guitar was used when you bought it, it's very likely that you have no warranty.

Bill

Bill its a Epi Studio,08

If you have back bow in the neck, a single action truss rod won't provide the tension needed to attain more neck relief,

Bill

hmm, I wasn't thinking back bow... don't recall that being mentioned. good catch lefty

Archived