Gibson Brands Forums

ES-320TD Project

OuterEdgeFriend

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse any interuption to protocol...

I am a new (half) owner of an ES-320TD in need of a little bit of work. Most urgently, it's missing it's pickguard. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a vintage part?

Under the condition where I need to make a replacement, does anyone know if the original was made of celluloid, plastic, PVC, bakelite, or some other material?

The guitar is in pretty good shape. I'm told that it was a later model, 1972-74. I'm not going to do a lot to it... clean the pots/switches, but I'm going to leave the patina as-is.

Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

I had two of these guitars back in the late 70's, a cherry sunburst and a natural. They were both GREAT guitars, I wish I had kept the sunburst. The 320 was my "entry" into the world of ES semis, and once I got a 335 I got rid of the 320.

The pickguards on these were single-ply black plastic. Exactly what formula of plastic I do not know, but they were not Bakelite or celluloid, just some cheap old black plastic. As for making a repro, any black blank stock from StewMac or AllParts should suffice very well.

Good luck with your project. Being new here maybe you're not familiar with our first unwritten rule......

WE WANT TO SEE PICS!

Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please excuse any interuption to protocol...

I am a new (half) owner of an ES-320TD in need of a little bit of work. Most urgently, it's missing it's pickguard. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a vintage part?

Under the condition where I need to make a replacement, does anyone know if the original was made of celluloid, plastic, PVC, bakelite, or some other material?

The guitar is in pretty good shape. I'm told that it was a later model, 1972-74. I'm not going to do a lot to it... clean the pots/switches, but I'm going to leave the patina as-is.

Any help or hints would be appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I had two of these guitars back in the late 70's, a cherry sunburst and a natural. They were both GREAT guitars, I wish I had kept the sunburst. The 320 was my "entry" into the world of ES semis, and once I got a 335 I got rid of the 320.

The pickguards on these were single-ply black plastic. Exactly what formula of plastic I do not know, but they were not Bakelite or celluloid, just some cheap old black plastic. As for making a repro, any black blank stock from StewMac or AllParts should suffice very well.

Good luck with your project. Being new here maybe you're not familiar with our first unwritten rule......

WE WANT TO SEE PICS!

Outstanding information. I haven't found a vintage part yet, so when winter comes around, I'll try to fabricate one.

I'll take pictures the next time I'm near the guitar. I left it in the midwest, and will be back there in September to take some measurements. The other [half] owner of the guitar is performing with it. Does a great rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with it. He'll need to be "reminded" to take some pics for us... Stay tuned!

Thanks again!

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding information. I haven't found a vintage part yet, so when winter comes around, I'll try to fabricate one.

I'll take pictures the next time I'm near the guitar. I left it in the midwest, and will be back there in September to take some measurements. The other [half] owner of the guitar is performing with it. Does a great rendition of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" with it. He'll need to be "reminded" to take some pics for us... Stay tuned!

Thanks again!

Got some pictures of the ES-320TD. The original bridge cover is "in the house", but needs screws to attach it. Comments welcome.--OuterEdgeFriendpost-45975-087619200 1346536683_thumb.jpgpost-45975-060654300 1346536684_thumb.jpg

Archived