Gibson Brands Forums

Any ideas re EJ200CE S/N & construction query?

KristinaElias

Morning all,

Newbie post here, so if I've missed another thread that completely answers my question please excuse me and point me in the right direction!

I bought a 'as new' second hand natural EJ200CE earlier this year, and the shop where I bought it told me that it was a year or so old. As I had just read an interesting article on acoustic guitar construction in Guitarist magazine, I thought I'd check out the S/N in an attempt to find out more about the solid / laminate construction of the guitar, including the back and sides, not just the top - which, from reading other threads on here looks solid to me.

So, I made a note of my Model No. - EJ-200CEN, and my Serial No. - 1006234580 (Yes, that is a "1" not and "I" at the start), and the fact that is has a "Made in Indonesia" sticker on the hack of the headstock, and could only find the following serial number decoder (see below) on the Gibson site which just doesn't seem to work with my serial number.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kristina

Epiphone

Most regular production models since ca. 1993. Many '80s and early '90s serial numbers may follow a similar scheme, but may not include a factory ID code.

FYYMMRRRR

F= Factory code (this can be 2 letters as well)

YY= year of manufacture (this can also be just 1 digit for '90s models)

MM= month of manufacture

R= ranking number (may be more or less digits, not necessarily indicative of total units produced)

Example - S02021234 was issued in Feb. 2002.

Another code used on some current Epiphone models

FYYMRRRR

F= Factory code

YY=Year of manufacture

M= This will be a letter code corresponding to the month (A=January, B=February, etc...)

RRRR= ranking number

Example - R03D0263 was issued in April 2003.

Epiphone Elite/Elitist models

FYSSSS

F= Factory Code (this code will be an "F" or "T")

Y= Year of manufacture (2 = 2002, 3 = 2003, etc.)

SSSS= Sequential Serial Number

Example - T41234 is a 2004 Elitist model.

Hi Kristina

and Welcome here [thumbup]

you didn't miss the thread - it once was stickied

and now it's somewhere nobody will find it... [thumbdn]

the newer serials read like

YYMMFF12345

http://epiphonewiki....Number_Decoding

that would be

made June 2010 at the Samick plant in Indonesia

On the basis of the date I would say that it's likely to be a laminate top as the solid tops didn't appear until around August 2011. Back and sides are laminate on all models regardless of date of manufacture or location of factory.

If you could post a close up of the edge of the body at the soundhole we should be able to confirm one way or another.

Archived