Gibson Brands Forums

1991 explorer

craigny

Hey all. Just scored a real player. 1991 explorer in black. Plenty of scars not a case queen. But plays awesome and has that great look without looking beat. The neck and frets are in awesome condition.. It has a DiMarzio super distortion in the bridge and sounds soooo sweet.

Anyway a couple quick questions From the serial number whuch has eight digits 9xxx1xxx leads me to believe its a 91 correct? Also it does not have the made in USA stamp on the back under the number. Is that common for this year. I know they always kinda change these things up. I know for that year that I should have the 8 digit number instead of the 9 which I believe they went to in the early 2000s. Just want to know if anyone can verify that year and the absence of the usa stamp. Thanks

Yea I'll post some pics tonight. I has already checked the gibson site for verification of the 8 digit number. The made in USA stamp is also addressed there too with specific years to when they started using it but then put out this blanket statement that there exceptions to these rules. Just wanted to see if anyone else had a 91 without the stamp

ok guys so i finally managed to snap off a few pics...here is one of the headstock showing the correct 8 digit serial number for the corosponding year...there is some finish checking there...(hey its a 21 year old guitar)

D58892D0-4E46-4D37-A265-E0FF4256B423-2295-000001854B38AC8A_zpse5e24710.jpg

and here is another of the whole guitar, and another of it hanging with its buds..

A0B934B6-AC2E-4331-A08D-99FDEF0D2F07-2295-0000018B68E26685_zps0fa63e5d.jpg

B2A15A45-A322-459F-BEDE-725B645D25AE-2295-000001853C2974AE_zps3124e6e5.jpg

any info on the absence of the made in usa stamp on this 91 would be awesome....thanks

Looks good to me. I don't know a whole lot about the serial numbers. You might be right about the paint filling in some of the numbers and letters. -On my Flying V, it's hard to read a couple of the digits in my serial number for that exact reason.

Also, that Reverend is sweet. [thumbup] Nice guitars mate.

Looks good to me. I don't know a whole lot about the serial numbers. You might be right about the paint filling in some of the numbers and letters. -On my Flying V, it's hard to read a couple of the digits in my serial number for that exact reason.

Also, that Reverend is sweet. [thumbup] Nice guitars mate.

Thanks man...yeah the Reverend is AWESOME...i highly reccommend them.

Archived