Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson 490R & 490T Pickups

Plus Top Dan

I'm finally getting round to being tempted to swap the pups out on my ES339 Pro.

I like the tone of the neck pickup but the rest of the options leave me feeling I could possibly find something better?

I'm looking at the Gibson 490R & 490T pickups - What are these like? I understand that they have 4 condutor wiring? Anyone have any experience of these in split coil mode?

Thanks in advance for any insights! [thumbup]

Thanks for the reply bobouz.

I've since started to look at other options mainly either

a Seymour Duncan JB & a SD Jazz

or

a SD Pearly Gates & SD Alnico2

Any opinions on that. I looked at the P94s but i'm not sure I like the look of them (I know the cosmetics shouldn't matter....)

Thanks,

Classic '57s can have a nice clean tone, and they are quite pleasant when coil tapped. I still prefer a clean P90 tone over anything else, which is why I mentioned the P94s. P94s actually look rather attractive in some guitars, such as the Epiphone Valensi Riviera, in which they are the stock pickup.

• 2 weeks later...

490s are pretty muddy, imho. Drop a set of P94s in there for some true single coil sweetness!

I just recently got a pair of 490s and I think you described their sound very well. I replaced an older set of gibson humbuckers and the older set had a lot more life and warmth than the 490s. I am going to give them a chance to grow on me though.

Archived