Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES-330

kleinman

I am about to buy this.....a 1966 or 1968/9 ? ES-330. The owner says it's a '66, however it looks like a long-neck to me which would place it '68-'69. Any thoughts perhaps ?

Have unfortunately not seen the guitar in the flesh yet, but according to the current owner it's still completely original, including the case.

1aIMG_0399_zps96cf296d.jpg

Gibson re-used (or recycled if they were trying to be green :) serial numbers, so some #s turn up in 1966 and 1968/69.

The longer neck joint and witch hat knobs are both signs of late '67 at the earliest model. Add the alleged 1966 serial # and it's pretty clear that you're right - it's a '68 or '69, not a '66.

Gibson re-used (or recycled if they were trying to be green :) serial numbers, so some #s turn up in 1966 and 1968/69.

The longer neck joint and witch hat knobs are both signs of late '67 at the earliest model. Add the alleged 1966 serial # and it's pretty clear that you're right - it's a '68 or '69, not a '66.

Thanks Doug. I also managed to get a pic of the headstock and Gibson logo. Note there is no dot on the i which puts it to '69 or even a bit later. The nut seems to be a non-original ?

IMGsm_0436_zps3b45a984.jpg

Maybe you should have the seller send it to me for a month or two of observation. Just to make sure it's OK.

Maybe we should all have a peer review session with it. Send it to me when your done. I'd be happy to send it back to the OP after a month or two of "research." That is a sexy looking burst! good luck with it Kleinman!

Maybe we should all have a peer review session with it. Send it to me when your done. I'd be happy to send it back to the OP after a month or two of "research." That is a sexy looking burst! good luck with it Kleinman!

Thanks guys [biggrin] Will report back once I've seen the guitar.

Archived