Gibson Brands Forums

TP-6 tail piece bolts

Bob Isaac

I have a 2006 Custom Shop Roy Orbison Signature ES-335 that was previously owned by a collector and it never left the case much. I recently noticed one of the TP-6 tail piece bolts was not screwed down fully. It would not screw down more, and was very stiff to remove. I noticed the thread was damaged, so I took the other one out. That came out smoothly and went into the hole smoothly, so the thread in the stud was not damaged.

I ordered a new Gibson bolt from Rosetti here in the UK and when I tried to put that in either hole it would only turn a few tuns before getting stiff. I suspect the threads are different. So, are there different bolts?

bolt.jpg

Bob

Well I got this sorted in the end. I have 2 of these 335's and both had the same issue but to different degrees, so I took all 4 bolts off and found out which went where best. Two would go in any of the 4 holes; the third needed only a little gentle coaxing and the 4th needed just a little lube on the thread and a few turns of a large screwdriver. The bolt I got from Rosetti would not go in any of the 4 holes more than two turns.

It is a really odd thing, has anyone else had this with a 335 or similar? Considering these were over $4000 when new I would not have been happy if I had paid that and found this issue.

Bob

Archived