Gibson Brands Forums

My ES-175

rwdotcom

Hi

I am just looking for some background information on a 89 ES-175 from the custom shop. It has serial number 83049698. I found a listing for a similar guitar on E-Bay which mentioned a stamp under the finish, below the Made In U.S.A. on the head stock indicating that that guitar was # 04/25. My guitar doesn't have that stamp. It is a cherry sunburst with gold hardware. Just wondering about the number / run stamp and the background of the guitar, how they came to make it and so on.

Thanks

Rick

Welcome.

As you most likely figured, that's where Gibson stamps the limited run info. That guitar was the #4 out of only 25 made. Either some kind of commemorative/sig, or limited edition in finish or appointments, or both. Your guitar was not of a limited run.

If you have the serial number of the guitar in question (models after 1980 or so), you can email Gibson the serial# at service@gibson.com and ask what they have recorded for the guitar model and if it was part of a special/limited run. They can also usually provide the finish, hardware, etc.

Archived