Gibson Brands Forums

Expert needed to ID 80's pups

Zebra Chunker

I have a 1986 Studio Les Paul that I recently took the the covers off of. I thought they were the normal T-Tops but i bulled the bridge pup cover off and it was a Zebra.The neck pup is straight black and the Bridge is a Zebra I would like to know what they are of if the bridge is even stock. Any ideas help!The serial No. is 808-46-547 Thanks!

What you want to show in the pics is the back (clear enough to read any stampings or numbers at LEAST), pics of the bobbins (clear enough to show holes and stampings in the plastic...similar to the way you see the holes in the bridge pup, but close enough to actually SEE them, not just if they are there). And, perhaps a pic of the sides so it shows the wire(s).

If it is possible to tell what they are by sight, these are the things that will help identify them.

I cannot post more pictures at this time. My computer is acting up and will not let me post anything. Can anybody give any rough ideas by the pictures posted?If it helps, both pups sound super thick and chunky with distortion

I don't guess without seeing the PU backs...No hurry, post when you can...

I might tend to lean toward one being a replacement pup.

I am not aware of any Gibby models that have two different colors of pups, but then how would I know what they put under the covered ones?

I am not sure I could identify a Duncan from a Dimarzio from a Gibby in PAF copies, but I am pretty sure they can be by some.

• 4 months later...

post-47847-064899400 1350584965_thumb.jpeg

post-47847-030212900 1350584996_thumb.jpeg

post-47847-061349800 1350585013_thumb.jpeg

here they are guys, i am for certaian that they are Gibson pups, just not sure which ones

How do they read on a multimeter? I believe that my Shaw's had one white coil as well. They should read about seven ohms if they are Shaws. Also, Shaws have white plastic spacers underneath the coils and have a pebbled looking end on the magnet. Your pictures show the opposite side of the pick up that I would need to see to be able to tell. Also, the regular Gibson patent number should be stamped on the base plate. My Shaw's are aftermarket replacements and did not have the ink stamp on the bottom but they did have a small sticker that matches the sticker that was on the outside of some of the Les Paul guitars during the 80's. The patent number is on the baseplate but it is hard to see in this picture.

8432205902_be5a5e8928.jpg8431152805_a7604a5a97.jpg8545246681_c861547a80.jpg

8543118560_a663debdba.jpg

Archived