Gibson Brands Forums

need help identifying early 50s acoustic

kappaalpha33

My father left me pieces and parts for an old Gibson acoustic restoration project and I need some help. The serial number is z 380 21 and is located at the base of the neck inside the guitar. I am almost positive it is a 1952, but I am not sure which model it is. Not sure on how to actually identify model. The guitar at its widest place across the front is 14.5". Any help would be greatly appreciated. If I can provide any other info to assist in identification, please let me know.

Ouch!

The factory order number says 1952, as you suggest.

The body shape and size say it is one of the LG models, but it's a bit hard to well from the photos which one it is, as it appears the guitar may have had a substantial amount of refinishing sometime before it arrived at its current rather depressing state.

Unfortunately, unless you have all the missing pieces, this would be an economically unfeasible restoration project. Even if you do have all the pieces, the cost of restoration would quickly exceed the potential value of the guitar, as it has lost all of its orginal character, and most of its original parts.

Although it's impossible to tell without a first-hand inspection, it almost looks like what remains of the body has been stained with a darkish mahogany-colored stain. If the top is X-braced (has a large brace in the shape of an X, with its apex just below the soundhole), this is probably an LG-2. If the top is ladder braced (the top braces running almost transversely, like the rungs of a ladder), it is most likely an LG-1.

If the guitar is an LG-1, it would have a value of around $1000 if it were in excellent original condition. If it's an LG-2, the value might have been in the $1500-$2000 range in the same condition.

As it is, the guitar literally has no value. I see virtually nothing worth saving, except to hang on the wall to remind you of your father.

Thanks so much j45nick, great to get some feedback on that old '52. I have a few other guitars he left as well. If u have a couple of minutes I would appreciate some feedback on them as well. The first is an old Gibson acoustic gourd shaped guitar with serial #11587. I believe its from the teens but I don't know. I would post a pic but forum says I have exceeded my size capacity. The other is a '68, I think a j45 that he bought brand new and took to Vietnam twice. All original with original case. Even has a few original string pegs (unsure on terminology). Just wondering about them and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Thanks so much j45nick, great to get some feedback on that old '52. I have a few other guitars he left as well. If u have a couple of minutes I would appreciate some feedback on them as well. The first is an old Gibson acoustic gourd shaped guitar with serial #11587. I believe its from the teens but I don't know. I would post a pic but forum says I have exceeded my size capacity. The other is a '68, I think a j45 that he bought brand new and took to Vietnam twice. All original with original case. Even has a few original string pegs (unsure on terminology). Just wondering about them and any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

Go to the "Forum Feedback" section under the "welcome" heading here. The first post tells you how to post photos using an outside hosting service, such as Photobucket. Many of us here use Photobucket for this purpose, as it is not practical to post multiple photos otherwise.

Your gourd-shaped guitar might well be a mandolin rather than a guitar. I'm not an expert on those. Could probably be of more help on your J-45, of course.

IMAG0569_zpsdfc00da0.jpg

Whoa! Now that's more interesting. Has that been re-finished, or is it possible for you to tell?

It appears to be an early L-2, possibly from the early 1920's. Is there a label inside the soundhole, or any evidence of a label having been there? Any number anywhere, such as stamped on the neckblock, on a label, etc?

How would I tell on the refinish on the very old one?

It's not necessarily easy, but I would expect an original finish on a guitar this age to show evidence of surface crazing (cracks in the finish). It should also show wear on things like the back of the neck, the back of the body, etc.

Was your father a guitar repair man, or what? That's a pretty unusual guitar for most people to own.

On another topic, I believe his J-45 is earlier than 1968. By then, the serial number (stamped on the back of the peghead) should have six numbers, rather than five.

That five digit number suggests earlier--as early as 1961, but perhaps 1963 or 1964. The key issue here in determining age is the neck width at the nut, on the fretboard side of the nut (the white piece holding the strings in place just below the tuning posts on the headstock).

Measure this carefully with an accurate small steel ruler. The fretboard width at the nut should be 1 11/16", 1 5/8", or 1 9/16". The actual width will help pin down the year, so it is important to measure this accurately. The wider nut indicates an earlier year, and increases the value, as it makes the guitar somewhat easier to play for some people.

This has the "faded cherry" finish, which is almost certainly original, and results from the instability in some dyes used when Gibson shifted from the standard sunburst to the cherry sunburst in about 1962. Please don't touch the finish in any way, other than to wipe down with a clean, non-abrasive cloth. Photos of the back of this guitar would be appreciated. The front looks great, especially considering its war record.

It is hard to see, but there is faint penciling on the tag. The serial is 11857 stamped on the neck block

Sometimes, you can read the label better by shining a small light at an oblique angle to the label. The key here is what it says on the "style" line.

That serial number is probably 1923, which is consistent with the style of the guitar. Because this is a very old-fashioned design, it has somewhat limited market appeal, but there are people on this forum that really love these.

At some point, if you want to sell it, you should probably get a professional appraisal from someone like Gruhn Guitars in Nashville.

Depending on condition, the J-45 has a fairly established market value, as these come up for sale constantly, even of this vintage.

Thanks again for all the great input. I didn't want to make u feel bad earlier for assuming my father had passed, but my father left these with me before he went back overseas about 12 years ago. He hasn't passed, he just got divorced and didn't want to travel with all his guitars. He just never did much research on them, he just collected old instruments and picked to old bluegrass tunes whenever he had time. My great uncle is a renowned dulcimer maker in kentucky. I guess its just in my dads blood. I just like to know the facts and history of an instrument. Awesome to get some perspective on these instruments. The next time my father calls me from whatever country he is in, I will let him know of the details u have provided me. Thanks again, oh BTW I checked for lettering on the style tag and nothing is legible.

Archived