Gibson Brands Forums

ES 355 with major issues - how much discount?

Irish Brian in Sweden

I just sold a '1970 ES335, Walnut in very good condition (all original) for $2500 on ebay. I was thinking I would get a little more. By applying the discount that others have talked about, you might have a ballpark figure. This was a trapeze tailpiece, which might not be as desirable as the other tailiece configurations. I think 355's might go for a little more than 335's due to detail work. Good luck.

The budget airlines in the UK are a nightmare for musical instruments. I regularly fly with an expensive violin, and have never been turned away from a flight, but I've had some close calls. I'd agree that the check in people can be the worst to deal with, as they tend to have rules that they stick to regardless of common sense. If I meet with any resistance at check in I just ask if I can carry it to the gate and check there if necessary - when you get the gate you can talk to the flight attendants who know what space they have available and are much more sympathetic.

The problem with the budget airlines is, because they charge to put a suitcase in the hold, everyone replaces their suitcase with carry on bags that are right up to the size limit, so the overhead bays are often packed. Some airlines, such as my all time favourite Lufthansa, seem to routinely oversell flights to ensure there are no empty seats so the plane is usually packed to bursting.

The big international airlines tend to be much better with respect to musical instruments, and most will have a storage locker specifically for fragile goods.

All that said, if you're buying from a reputable dealer in the US and you're at all worried about flying with it, I'd be inclined to ask them to ship it and save the hassle. People like Elderly, George Gruhn send guitars all over the world and know how to pack a vintage instrument so that it arrives in one piece.

Archived