Gibson Brands Forums

Blackstone Ukulele by Epiphone?

nrand

I bought this recently and cannot find another anywhere, nor anyone who knows anything about them. I believe it to be Japanese from the 50s or 60s and possibly made by Epiphone. Epiphone apparently made tenor guitars under the Blackstone name. I have tried a few other forums with no luck. Anyone seen one of these before. Its a baritone, solid mahogany.

KGrHqVHJB8E-8IsEwgBP5d9djCPw60_57_zps6ab1cd5f.jpg

T2eC16dHJFoE9nh6pi5WBP5d7DzwBQ60_57_zps184a1e21.jpg

T2eC16JHJHwE9n8iguuJBP5eB0KV60_57_zps075cc946.jpg

T2eC16ZHJGoE9nuQgjwzBP5eImb4w60_57_zpsde5edb87.jpg

There is a faint remnant of the headstock decal which could be 'Epiphone' but I am no expert.

Headstock.jpg

I bought this recently and cannot find another anywhere, nor anyone who knows anything about them. I believe it to be Japanese from the 50s or 60s and possibly made by Epiphone. Epiphone apparently made tenor guitars under the Blackstone name. I have tried a few other forums with no luck. Anyone seen one of these before. Its a baritone, solid mahogany.

There is a faint remnant of the headstock decal which could be 'Epiphone' but I am no expert.

Headstock.jpg

Epiphone didn't move manufacturing overseas from the USA until 1970, so if your uke is from Japan in the 50's or 60's, it can't be an Epiphone.

I think the logo remnant that you see on the headstock says "Blackstone."

Red 333

Epiphone didn't move manufacturing overseas from the USA until 1970, so if your uke is from Japan in the 50's or 60's, it can't be an Epiphone.

I think the logo remnant that you see on the headstock says "Blackstone."

Red 333

Thanks Red

I thought the date was problematic for Epiphone,and there is no proof anywhere of the Ukes origins.

I also initially thought the decal read "Blackstone" too but there appears to be the remnant of a lowercase letter with a 'tail' in the middle, which complicates things further. My other guess was 'Esquire', but it appears to be 8 letters, from the spacing.

If it were a piece of junk I probably would not bother but it is actually a really good player. It is much better sounding than an all Koa soprano I bought in Hawaii a few years ago for several hundred dollars.

Not an Epiphone. They either 'borrowed' or plagiarized the "Blackstone" name. "Blackstone" is, in deed, a Epiphone model name, but was applied to arch top guitars and possibly a flat top of yore, and I am fairly certain it was applied to a Tenor version of a 6 string as well.

This one is possibly a Harmony make, but I'm not sure. What makes you think 50/60's?

What makes you think MIJ?

Is this a soprano or concert uke?

Archived