Gibson Brands Forums

Strat pickup's

catnine

I have the Seymour SSL-1 on my sunburst strat and on the mahogany one I got the Fender Texas specials . The Duncans I bought the same ones for each position and all are the same. The Texas Specials came in a set with the bridge PU hotter but not by much and the middle PU is reverse wired and the poles are reverse polarity.

I thought for some reason and got these back in the 80's that the Texas Specials were supposed to be hotter yet both sets are all very close to 6.5K ohms. They very some a bit above and below 6.5K ohm . So what's so special about the TX specials? Both have the staggered poles and are alnico 5.

I also found a pretty old Mitey Mite humbucker that is 14K ohms , anyone need one of those , it's black with set poles.

The Texas Specails are wound with a thinner gauge wire, the same as a neck Tele pup I think. It isn't the same wire as a standard Strat pup.

The Texas Specails are hotter, but not "hot" like what most would call it these days. They are much darker sounding than a typical "vintage" type Strat pup.

Archived