Gibson Brands Forums

Beater acoustic to compliment my J45?

Plainsman

I've had my 2003 J45 for 2 years now and it is definately my favorite guitar. I've bought and sold several others, electrics included, and realize now that all I really need is the J45.

I would like a knock around guitar that feels similar to the J45 though. Something that I can play fingerstyle quietly while the kids sleep. Something that I don't have to worry about my toddler smashing. I've bought him a little 1/2 size guitar, which he drags around with him everywhere, but he knows it does not sound like my guitar and so wants to play mine whenever I get it out. I end up more and more keeping it in the case in the closet. I'd like something with the same scale and a similar neck and feel to the J45, and something cheap.

Will the Epi EL-00 do it for me, or can anyone reccomend something else? I also just realized the Seagull S6 has a similar scale and nut width to the J45. It's even sort of slope shouldered. I can probably find one of those used, anyone have experience with them? Thanks!

I have an Epiphone AJ type model that I like, but its long scale. I'd think a short-scale Epi would be fun!

Yeah totally. I've never understood why Epiphone doesn't make a version of the J45. Seeems like such a popular guitar I'd think a cheaper version would be a huge seller. I know Epi has done limited edition J45s, and when they turn up used anywhere they sell almost instantly.

Archived