Gibson Brands Forums

Light and Shade

Sgt.

Light and Shade: Coversations With Jimmy Page

by Brad Tolinski 2012

I have this new book on Jimmy Page. I expected more 'artsy fartsy' like the 'picture book' 'autobiography' that was published before, that was published in limited edition and was expensive, but I am enjoying this read. I'm not a hardcore concert going fan but I rather enjoy scholarly research on the band and members of Led Zeppelin. I was surprised to find credits to Mr. Page for pioneering acoustic drum micing techniques with John Bonham. It puts Page's producing achievements on par with Les Paul's pioneering multitrack recording (almost). I'm waiting, waiting for the autobiography (apparently non of the members have expressed any interest or cooperation in writing their autobiographies).

Celebration Day was screened in Canadian theatres in October and it was amazing with the theatre sound. The band held together well in the 2007 memorial concert for Ahmet Ertegun (Atlantic records) at London's 02. Led Zeppelin is one of a few bands that are worth collecting everything they've recorded, The Doors being another. I've got all of the studio albums, the oddball songs that didn't come out on album, the live album, viewed the film and the DVD's, read the books, never been to a concert ... I guess I am still amazed at the business side of the band, breaking attendance records and box office takes. Success. I feel these and many classic works that aren't being performed live by the original artist are worth perserving through cover bands.

I used to have a book about Zep by Richie Yorke that was very interesting. It dabbled into the business side. In the early 70's you had to guarantee Zep $100,000 and they got a percentage of the door after that. They saw how the Beatles got screwed and Grant made sure that didn't happen to them. I need to look for that book...

Archived