Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson ES175\CC Value

onesince40

I have a ES175-CC that I am trying to figure out a fair retail value for. Serial # is 81321033. any thoughts?

I got to ask you this question: you don't play, do you? Your ES-175CC is missing its wooden bridge. If you do not know how to set up the bridge when you find it (look in the case compartment), take it to someone who really does. And don't pin the bridge to the top nor glue it nor stick it to the top with double-sided tape, no matter what someone tells you unless he buys it from you.

I have seen them priced in the last few months for between $2495 and $3495 at the dealers. $3000 plus or minus $100 or $200 seems to be the ballpark actual transacted price for one in really nice condition.

Me? I'll probably offer you $2495 for it [rolleyes]

There is one on ebay at the moment for you to make comparisons. The ES175CC is an acquired taste.

LOL, No I do not play. I am helping a family member trying to sell\consign it. He lives in Greece, and as you hear in the news\papers, the economy is really tuff right now; he has been out of work for a while and is in need of cash. He is an architect and can’t find work. He needs to resort to this. What a shame.

Thanks for the info though.

LOL, No I do not play. I am helping a family member trying to sell\consign it. He lives in Greece, and as you hear in the news\papers, the economy is really tuff right now; he has been out of work for a while and is in need of cash. He is an architect and can’t find work. He needs to resort to this. What a shame.

Thanks for the info though.

OK, if you're in Europe, it is worth a lot more. A German fellow I know was pricing his, an unusual Walnut finished one, at Euro3495.00. I don't know if anybody bought it at that price. He put up a Youtube video of it.

Gibson archtops tend to cost more in Europe. Don't give it away.

He tried for about a year to sell it in Greece, but was unable to, It just arrived in NYC and we are starting the process of trying to evaluate and list.

Oh. The floating bridge (consisting of saddle, could be metal or wood, two height adjustment thumbwheels and the wooden base) is probably packed in the guitar case compartment. You do not have to set it on the top if you do not know how. Buyers just want to know that it is included in the sale. So, just show it with the guitar. When you pack the guitar for shipping, the bridge goes back into the case compartment anyway.

Do not clean it with Pledge. Just a light clean soft flannel duster or old 100% cotton T-shirt will do. I suppose you know how best to present the ES175CC in photographs for best effect.

If you present it well, you could get your asking price for it. The thing is patience, good description and good photography. Please look at the back of the headstock and check to see if there is a digit "2" stamped above or below the serial number or a SECOND stamped into it. Without the "2" or SECOND, it is worth a little more.

Note that ebay and Paypal take about 12.9% of the transaction when the numbers are crunched. Only 489 were made between 1978 and 1981, I think.

Your ES175CC was made on May 12th 1981 at Kalamazoo, Michigan, Production Number 33. (8 132nd day 1 033 guitar).

For what it is worth I bought the only ES175CC that Gibson made in natural in 1979. Bought it at DJ's Rock and Roll in Cicero,Illinois when I lived in Chicagoland. That guitar was at the NAMM show at the time. AND I sold it a year later for $600............what an idiot I was at the time huh? To be honest it was pretty typical of a late 70's Gibson. NOT a very good instrument IMHO. jim at Tinker AFB Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

Archived