Gibson Brands Forums

Barney Kessel Guitar Case??

ninaetcetera

I'm happy to say I just acquired a 66' Barney Kessel guitar. It did come with the OHSC case however I prefer not to gig with it. Can anyone recommend a new case to buy for this guitar?? I was thinking of modifying a larger case (i.e. dreadnought) with foam to make it fit, since it's sort of an oddball shape it'll be hard to find an exact fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

I believe the BK has a 17" lower bout, just like the L-5 and L-7 archtops, and the J-200 flat top. I have a TKL 8920 case for my 1947 L-7, and it fits extremely well. You might have to use some sort of filling material in the BK's cutaways, but I would be careful about what foam I used, since nitro reacts poorly with some foams.

My L-7 is 3 1/2" deep, plus the arch top, bridge, and arch back, and is generally well supported by the case. It is also a long-scale guitar, so that should not be a problem.

I would certainly not use this as a flight case.

Go on the TKL website and check the dimensions. I got mine on Amazon, believe it or not.

The thing to be aware of with the Kessel is that it's only 3" deep (3/8" less than standard Gibson full depth). The cutaways shouldn't be an issue in terms of filling in those spaces (just as an ES335 case doesn't need material to fill in the cutaways).

By the way, we're going to need some photos of the Kessel. [smile]

The thing to be aware of with the Kessel is that it's only 3" deep (3/8" less than standard Gibson full depth). The cutaways shouldn't be an issue in terms of filling in those spaces (just as an ES335 case doesn't need material to fill in the cutaways).

By the way, we're going to need some photos of the Kessel. [smile]

The TKL 7820 case appears to have the same internal dimensions as the 8920, but is 1/2" shallower, and might be a better fit. I suppose worst case, you could put a pad under the body to raise it up in the case a bit, so it would sit better on the neck rests.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm happy to say I just acquired a 66' Barney Kessel guitar. It did come with the OHSC case however I prefer not to gig with it. Can anyone recommend a new case to buy for this guitar?? I was thinking of modifying a larger case (i.e. dreadnought) with foam to make it fit, since it's sort of an oddball shape it'll be hard to find an exact fit.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, TIA!

I also have a Barney Kessel (1966) and it fits perfectly in a Hiscox Jumbo Case. I found out by chance as the Hiscox was for another of my guitars but I needed to take the Barney out one day and didn't want to wreck the original case.... It was an older style hiscox though, not the Pro 2 model so best to double check.

Archived