Gibson Brands Forums

Bonamassa Pickup's

QBDranem

Hey folks,

I'm starting a project to rebuild a Goldtop Studio.

I look for humbuckers pickups,nothing too harsh or soft.

Somebody can tel me somewhat regarding Bonamassa Signature.

Thank's in advance, all Gibson Friends.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Joe-Bonamassa-Les-Paul-Studio/Specs.aspx

According to the specs Gibson posted, they are BB2 neck, and a BB3 bridge. Both can be had from any Gibson Dealer.

Thanks body.

You seem to know many things regarding pick up. The BB it's Burstbuckers from Seymour Duncan?

Seymour Duncan did however make Joe a custom set not too long ago [biggrin]

Introducing the Custom Shop Joe Bonamassa Signature Pickup Set

Thank's body.

I watched the video, it was very interesting.I visited the Seymour Duncan website and you're right, it's amazing.

I will continue my research, but it could give a good result on my Gold Top Studio? [thumbup]

I have a question for you: on Alnico magnets, what is the difference between # 2 and # 7?

Alloy %?. I have read that more the number is high ex.: # 7, more the sound is strong?

Generally, the assigned number refers to the strength(magnetic pull) of the magnets,

so the higher the number, the harder it pulls the strings downwards.

However, I wouldn't put too much thought in those numbers.

It has been proven(by Bill Lawrence & Larry DiMarzio) that magnets

don't make sound and both have been successful in designing their

pickups around the FAR MORE stable Alnico5 and Ceramic magnet pickups.

With all that said, trust your ears [biggrin]

Generally, the assigned number refers to the strength(magnetic pull) of the magnets,

so the higher the number, the harder it pulls the strings downwards.

However, I wouldn't put too much thought in those numbers.

It has been proven(by Bill Lawrence & Larry DiMarzio) that magnets

don't make sound and both have been successful in designing their

pickups around the FAR MORE stable Alnico5 and Ceramic magnet pickups.

With all that said, trust your ears [biggrin]

Yes generally,I do trust my ears and believe me, regarding that the good Lord has spoiled me. :)

In fact I'm just trying to understand why PAF pickup was still amazing one. The winding Leesona

machine, Alnico magnet 2 & 3, etc...? If this is not the magnets, what makes the sound?

I understand that it is a mixture of all, magnet, winding, the diameter of the copper wire,

the winding number on the magnet, but in what proportion? :o

Yes generally,I do trust my ears and believe me, regarding that the good Lord has spoiled me. :)

In fact I'm just trying to understand why PAF pickup was still amazing one. The winding Leesona

machine, Alnico magnet 2 & 3, etc...? If this is not the magnets, what makes the sound?

I understand that it is a mixture of all, magnet, winding, the diameter of the copper wire,

the winding number on the magnet, but in what proportion? :o

there's no easy solution to that really.

back in the day, before Gibson had any kind of standardized recipe for humbuckers,

they more or less wound the coils until they were full and used whatever magnets

were available for the best price at the time. that's why you nowadays see a PLETHORA

of different aftermarket PAF variants. SD's '59, DMZ 36th Anniversary just to name a few.

• 3 months later...

Archived