Gibson Brands Forums

Pot Values 2010 Les Paul Junior

atj13

300k Linear volume, 500k Audio tone, .022uF cap

Hi Jon,

looking at some posts on other forums and it was suggested that swapping out stock parts for a: 500k volume, 250k Tone and a .047 cap would bring about a more ballsy and clear sound (closer to 50's spec Juniors) to a 2010 LPJ. Would you have a viewpoint on that theory please?

Thanks in advance,

Tim (New Zealand)

The 50's models used 500k pots in both positions with .022uF caps. I've got guitars with 22, 47, and even .1uF caps. Every guitar is different, but if you think your Jr. is a bit too bright using a higher value cap and lower value pots may help.

The 50's models used 500k pots in both positions with .022uF caps. I've got guitars with 22, 47, and even .1uF caps. Every guitar is different, but if you think your Jr. is a bit too bright using a higher value cap and lower value pots may help.

I wondered about what the "proper" value for P-90 equipped guitars were, and doing a BUTTLOAD of googling, I couldn't find a definitive answer.

One thing that stands out, is that the most common I saw in harnesses that were origonal, for JUNIORS, and some others, with one pup, was 500k volume and 250k tone. Don't remember cap values.

For two pup versions, such as Specials and LPs, I seem to remember more of 500k for all. But not sure about Specials being that. Don't recall seeing any 2 pup P-90's with 500k volume with 250k tone as the one pup harnesses.

What it all means to me, is that it would be cool if there was some compilation of info concerning GIBSON electronics, as the values seem to vary quite a bit from model to model, in particular 50's Gibby's with P-90's.

Archived