Gibson Brands Forums

early 70'sMIJ Riviera heel block syndrome

Buffalo Bill

Hello i have an early Riviera ea-250 a gem in my book and i just shimmed the neck to help angle,a common problem i think with these the heel block and top collapse ,a time stress issue,if any has one with this problem has any input i would like to hear from you!the only things i come up with are risky and the real fix is expensive .

yes,just like old acoustic guitars the shrinkage of wood and glue to i guess allows the string tension to start the neck block to come loose i noticed the binding on top in the horn bouts sticking out and i keep it tuned a little lower,to relieve string pressure,but eventually i will have figure out better fix than shimming.i should have posted this in the build and repair category my error,i will have to remember that, at least it doesnt have a set neck.i dont know about pics posting i will have to figure that out.thank you.

Even with pics I would still be guessing but, I think I'm starting to get the picture.

If it comes to repairing the top of the body it could possibly come down to padded blocks,

the correct Titebond and some carefully applied clamps.

Can the inside of the neck mounting block be accessed through the pickup cavities?

Posting Pics:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/51292-the-d0-it-yourself-thread-look-here-for-tech-related-questions/

Hope others are more help,

Willy

thats kinda what i was thinking i am going to take the pickup out and have a look i am hoping ther is enough room to place a support block in front and glue in but until i go in and see im just cypering as jethro bodine would say,this is probably why 335 s are smi hollow i have built several solid body guitars{build bodies ,buy necks,and add the hardware goodies but for this a luthiers skill would be better suited}thanks for input,

Archived