Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Special

moorzie2

Good morning everybody and a very Happy New Year from the Isle of Man.

I'm new to the site so this question may already be out there but it gives me an opportunity to make my first post.

I have just picked up a battered LP Vintage Sunburst Special with the serial number Y6120928 stamped into the neck plate. It is a while since I have worked on one of these but it appears to have a maple neck - split at the splice - and an ash/alder body lurking under the lacquer.

Anybody like to give an opinion as to date and maker? I realise the value is not great but hopefully, when repaired, it will provide a beginner with a decent enough starter guitar.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ivor

Ivor,

Welcome to the forum and a Happy New Year to you!!!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21424628/Welcome2.mp3

(Hit play)

As to the serial number on the neck plate....I have no idea what factory code is represented by Y.

I would guess (and that's all I'm doing) that the 6 after it would indicate either '96 or '06.

Is it a Special or a Special II?

I bought a Special II for my grandson and have never been able to find out where it was made.

Perhaps a picture or two would help.

(Especially the headstock.)

Welcome aboard.

Hope others are more help,

Willy

Hello Willy.

Thank you for your reply and the brill welcome jingle. Before I begin to repair, I will take some pics and post them as suggested. Even with the neck splice separation - the guy I bought it from said it was as a result of an unhappy female! - with the break strapped the action and intonation is spot on.

What confused me was the spliced maple neck - others I have worked on have had one piece mahogany so maybe this points to Crafter/Aria factories?

Anyway, glad to be aboard and happy to share my stuff with you guys.

Ivor

Archived