Gibson Brands Forums

Knobs on a 335

Del

Hi

I've just registered here and this is my first post.

I've only recently become the proud owner of my first real Gibson - a lovely plain top sunburst 335. It's a beauty!

However, there's one very minor thing that I'm not 100% happy with on the guitar - the black volume and tone knobs. I just don't care for them and would like to change them for the gold top hat variety.

I assume that these are just a push on, pull off item as they are on my other LP and 335 copies but I can't move any of these knobs at all. It's almost like they've been glued on.

I don't want to apply too much pressure to the knobs or the top of the guitar for fear of breaking the existing knobs or scratching the top (even with a cloth under the thin blade I've tried to lever them off with).

Any hints on the easiest way to get these off??

Cheers

Del

Yes they pull off, but there is a knack. If you search this forum there is a YouTube link where it shows you how to wrap a piece of cloth under the knob then pull up. You have to be careful not to cause any damage to the pot or the guitar itself. Some of them are on tight. When putting the new ones on tap the knob firmly but gently with something solid. Don't use lots of downward force as you will break something.

Bob

Congrats on your new guitar. I bought an ebony 335 back in 05 and replaced the knobs too. I didn't like the black with the black finish.

I replaced them with the old style top hat knob, they looked a lot better matching the pick ups and the tailpiece.

The nickel hardware will start tarnishing early, so be aware

of that, even on the tuners.

The cloth wrapped around the knob trick worked a treat - thanks for the tip.

The guitar looks a lot more classy with the gold knobs as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers

Archived