Gibson Brands Forums

Is my Epi Frehley real or fake?

4thought

Wondering if someone who knows can help me out. I bought an Epi Frehley about 6 years ago and I'm wondering if its fake. The serial is I00071926 which I gather means it was supposed to be made in Korea in 2000. Things that have me wondering are that Ace's outline on the headstock is not continuous - there are two breaks. Someone told me the outline is too close to the left side of the headstock as well. Some of the binding is not perfect. Someone also questioned whether the pups are real DiMarzios.

See the link for a bunch of close up pictures. I can post more if you want to see anything else.

Thanks very much!

My link

i'm not that familiar w/that model but the headstock shape overall & the size of Aces head look "iffy"....

maybe Gibby/Epi customer service can help.

btw, the Ace LP is one of the most highly counterfieted Epis.....but i've no clue when that started.

and above all....Welcome to the forum!

i'm not that familiar w/that model but the headstock shape overall & the size of Aces head look "iffy"....

maybe Gibby/Epi customer service can help.

btw, the Ace LP is one of the most highly counterfieted Epis.....but i've no clue when that started.

and above all....Welcome to the forum!

Hmm I've never heard anyone say that about the headstock. That part looks fine to me compared to other Epi's - maybe its the picture.

Thanks for the welcome!

Archived