Gibson Brands Forums

F-25 Folksinger

JMGinSB

What can you tell me about my new guitar? I am the second owner. it is lightly used. I an a novice and I have searched all over Google but the information is limited. I have a lightly played 1964 Gibson f-25.

What is it? Should this be saved or played? Serial number is in the photo.

It is something of an odd duck that has a wider than usual width of the fingerboard at the nut - more of a classical guitar width - and supposedly playable with either steel or nylon strings.

Me, I'd play the darned thing. Others can tell you more about the piece, I'm sure. But given the price tags I've seen on that model... I'd play it until it hollers "Uncle."

It was designed at the time for the folkie craze, but what that really means is that it was a "it should be easy for a novice to play" sorta guitar at Gibson price and quality of the day when everybody decided they wanted a guitar or an upgrade to their first guitar. Hmmmm. That included me. And this one beats the #@$% outa what I started on and my subsequent upgrades of the next several years of all-acoustic pickin'.

I'd take it to a luthier if I were in your boots to make sure it's in good physical condition overall in ways that may not be obvious to you at your level. Then I'd let him see how you're playing and take advice for strings.

Then I'd do my best to wear out the strings, frets and my fingers... Hmmmm. That resembles what I did anyway those 50 years ago with a lot less quality in my startup guitars.

EDIT:

Oh - Forum member "Grampa" and a cupla other guys have this model. Grampa thinks it's the next best thing since the invention of six-string guitars. The wider and flatter fingerboard is heaven to some... and probably a bit difficult for Fender neck radius pickers.

m

It is something of an odd duck that has a wider than usual width of the fingerboard at the nut - more of a classical guitar width - and supposedly playable with either steel or nylon strings.

Me, I'd play the darned thing. Others can tell you more about the piece, I'm sure. But given the price tags I've seen on that model... I'd play it until it hollers "Uncle."

It was designed at the time for the folkie craze, but what that really means is that it was a "it should be easy for a novice to play" sorta guitar at Gibson price and quality of the day when everybody decided they wanted a guitar or an upgrade to their first guitar. Hmmmm. That included me. And this one beats the #@$% outa what I started on and my subsequent upgrades of the next several years of all-acoustic pickin'.

I'd take it to a luthier if I were in your boots to make sure it's in good physical condition overall in ways that may not be obvious to you at your level. Then I'd let him see how you're playing and take advice for strings.

Then I'd do my best to wear out the strings, frets and my fingers... Hmmmm. That resembles what I did anyway those 50 years ago with a lot less quality in my startup guitars.

m

Thank you Milod. I tuned it up and it sounds great to me. It is kind of unique looking. I have a J45 that I plan on buying in the next month which will be my primary and I have a Les Paul Studio for when I am ready to venture down that road. The j45 is a 2010 that has a Rosewood back and sides. Probably like giving a teenager a Ferrari.

Yep, I have one, and I do think it is fabulous. Mine had been played hard by whoever owned it before me and someone did a poor refinish of the top. It doesn't have those dual white tap plates, just their shadows.

It isn't almost like a classical, it's exactly the same measurements as the Gibson C-0 classical I had when I found the F-25 in 1982 in a pawnshop. Actually it lured me into the pawnshop, a long, weird story. I had been looking for a steel string guitar for years but because I had been playing a classical since '62, their necks were always too skinny for me. After adjusting the action it turned out to be a dream come true for me. I don't know why anyone would think of putting nylon strings on a guitar braced for steel, they would sound dead. Mine sounds fantastic and every time I pick it up the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

They were made only during the 60's and really didn't garner much popularity although I don't know why. Mine is from '66.

Enjoy it!

Yep, I have one, and I do think it is fabulous. Mine had been played hard by whoever owned it before me and someone did a poor refinish of the top. It doesn't have those dual white tap plates, just their shadows.

It isn't almost like a classical, it's exactly the same measurements as the Gibson C-0 classical I had when I found the F-25 in 1982 in a pawnshop. Actually it lured me into the pawnshop, a long, weird story. I had been looking for a steel string guitar for years but because I had been playing a classical since '62, their necks were always too skinny for me. After adjusting the action it turned out to be a dream come true for me. I don't know why anyone would think of putting nylon strings on a guitar braced for steel, they would sound dead. Mine sounds fantastic and every time I pick it up the hair on the back of my neck stands up.

They were made only during the 60's and really didn't garner much popularity although I don't know why. Mine is from '66.

Enjoy it!

I really am linking the guitar. I have little to measure it against but the feel is great and the sound is not horrible. When I hit the notes right it actually sounds great. If it did not have that vintage checking and smell I would swear it is a replica. Amazing condition. Thanks for sharing your story.

I have a hunch that after the 60s or so the wider fingerboard wasn't so popular as with big batches of folks like Grampa and me who began on classical guitars.

In fact, that's why I think that even today I do not care for Fender guitar necks because they are that much different from what I started with.

You have a marvelous little guitar the size and shape I personally tend to prefer. The small-body archtop "jazz" guitar such as the Gibson ES175 is pretty similar in ways...

Enjoy what you have...

m

If I recall Gibson claimed you could string these guitars with either metal or nylon strings. Not only the 2" nut but a lat board just like a classical guitar. I gotta say in the 1960s when Gibson was going with thin necks and from 1965 on narrow nuts, these guitars were a pleasure to play.

No reason not to play the sucker. They are not rare and even if they were the only reason a guitar should not be played is if its condition will not allow it.

I have been looking and looking for an affordable F-25 (that I can play before buying) for a while now. Went down to LA a few weeks ago looking forward to playing the one at Norman's, but they were closed during the entire time I was down there!

I ended up buying a Goya F-11 that was supposed to have the same dimensions at the F-25, and the Goya's neck is about 1.8 ".

Can anyone confirm that the F-25's nut width is a full 2", and what is the string spacing at the bridge?

I play about 80% in slack key and alternate tunings, so the wide neck and reasonably sized body appeals to me...

Thanks !

I have been looking and looking for an affordable F-25 (that I can play before buying) for a while now. Went down to LA a few weeks ago looking forward to playing the one at Norman's, but they were closed during the entire time I was down there!

I ended up buying a Goya F-11 that was supposed to have the same dimensions at the F-25, and the Goya's neck is about 1.8 ".

Can anyone confirm that the F-25's nut width is a full 2", and what is the string spacing at the bridge?

I play about 80% in slack key and alternate tunings, so the wide neck and reasonably sized body appeals to me...

Thanks !

As usual mine is right next to me on its stand. The nut is indeed 2", the spacing at the nut is 1 3/4". The spacing at the bridge is 2 1/4". The scale is 24 5/8". It is truly great in alternative tunings because of the neck. Hope you find one. Can't have mine.

As usual mine is right next to me on its stand. The nut is indeed 2", the spacing at the nut is 1 3/4". The spacing at the bridge is 2 1/4". The scale is 24 5/8". It is truly great in alternative tunings because of the neck. Hope you find one. Can't have mine.

Thanks so much for the specs ! Really helps. From what I've read and what I've heard on youtube, they sound like nice guitars.

Curtis

Archived