Gibson Brands Forums

PA's/Amps for your Gibsons - Street performance/busking

powerpopper

I've been hankering to do some street performance and I'm considering buying the Fishman Solo Amp for this purpose with a Baggs Para DI box or maybe one of the Fishmans. Before we start comparing the Fishman Solo Amp to Bose, I ain't going there, so if the Fishman sucks, then it sucks. I gotta draw the line somewhere so I can still stay married...:-)

But any idea how to power this bad boy for a day when you're out playing on the street? Apparently, the Fishman only weighs about 35 pounds and I can get a little cart for that and my guitar. But what do you do for power? A generator of some kind, I'm sure...but any suggestions?

Thanks for helping the absolutely clueless...

I don't know where you live, but in all my years of busking I never saw or needed a 35 watt amp. In fact, with that kind of volume, I can promise I would have been ousted from any public space, possibly arrested, and if I were playing a Yamaha, possibly charged with indecent exposure.

I can tell you this for sure -- if you are out on any street with a Fishman set up, a Gibson and I suspect a glamorous gold strap, you won't be taking many pennies from the common folk. Further, if your competition is close enough that your 35 watt amp starts bleeding into their show, allow me to recommend the busker's special (a double edged Gerber knife) so you don't come home with holes in you.

What is the world coming to?

I don't know where you live' date=' but in all my years of busking I never saw or needed a 35 watt amp. In fact, with that kind of volume, I can promise I would have been ousted from any public space, possibly arrested, and if I were playing a Yamaha, possibly charged with indecent exposure.

I can tell you this for sure -- if you are out on any street with a Fishman set up, a Gibson and I suspect a glamorous gold strap, you won't be taking many pennies from the common folk. Further, if your competition is close enough that your 35 watt amp starts bleeding into their show, allow me to recommend the busker's special (a double edged Gerber knife) so you don't come home with holes in you.

What is the world coming to?[/quote']

Perhaps I should be more specific. I live in Santa Monica, CA and the local government issues Street Performance licenses. There are two designated places you can play in the city with these licenses--3rd Street Promenade and the Santa Monica Pier. I'm not really interested in playing at the Pier because it is just a mass of people, but 3rd Street Promenade is a pedestrian mall with wide walkways spanning about 4 city blocks.

The buskers there (such as they are) tend not to be homeless, down on their luck or without pretty hefty PA's. In fact, I've seen what they have and the Fishman may well be underpowered in that environment. Needless to say, most of them are in no hurry to tell me how best to amplify myself there. There is enough competition as it is...

Not that it matters, but I'm not interested in doing it for the $$, just for the experience. Nevertheless, I've seen some great players as well as marginally talented ones making money there.

I don't know if one can chalk this up to this being LA and every local artist willing to play any venue available, including the street, but that is the environment I find myself wanting to busk in...:-)

I'm planning on doing some street playing when the weather permits in April or May. I've thought about it for awhile, and in my case, I've decided on just playing a halfway decent beater with decent volume, and that's it. I'll probably only be noticed by people that walk some what close by. But, like you, I'm not in for the money, only the experience and hopefully some confidence building, and of course the practice. But hey if anybody wants to drop some money, I won't turn it down. lol

Anyway, I don't want to be encumbered. I'd like to just up and move, go to the bathroom, take a break and go have a couple cold ones, or whatever. If I did need a small amp, I'd look at a Pignose or the Traynor http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Traynor-International-TVM10-15W-1x6-Battery-Powered-Guitar-Combo-Amp?sku=481167 Oh, and Roland has a little battery powered amp.

Just my $0.02, and not based on experience, but thought I'd through it out there in case there's anything of value that might help.

Good luck whatever you come up with. As long as you do it!

Thanks for the tip and the encouragement, Honky Dog! I have the Roland and it's very cool, but these dudes out there come loaded for bear! I'm thinking of using the Roland for my vocals and my Crate Taxi for my guitar, then I won't have any power worries. But that Fishman sure does look nice...man...I think I have some GAS...

From one street player to another best of luck

I'll second the AER compact 60 "Mobile" for quality ... but that is a pricey beast

For price it's hard to beat the Crate portable amps - The older versions are called the Taxi & the Limo and are under $75 on the used market

Here's a link to the new models on their home page - Last two models on the bottom of the page

http://www.crateamps.com/products/findex.php?catID=1

Good luck and remember to stand in the shade

Archived