Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Logo History

Stoopalini

Here is what the Blue Book of Electric Guitars has to say about the evolution of Gibson's logo throughout the years. Thought it would be some good info to share.

GIBSON : ELECTRIC IDENTIFYING FEATURES: HEADSTOCK LOGO

The most consistent and easily found feature that goes across all models of Gibson production is the logo, or lack of one, found on the peghead. The very earliest instruments made are generally found with a star inside a crescent design, or a blank peghead, and labels inside the body. This lasted until approximately 1902.

From 1902 to the late 1920s, "The Gibson," inlaid in pearl and placed at a slant, is found on the peghead.

In the late 1920s, this style of logo was changed to having "The Gibson" read straight across the peghead as opposed to being slanted. Flattop acoustics production began at approximately this time and these instruments generally do not have "The" on the inlay. They just have "Gibson" in script writing.

By 1933, this was the established peghead logo for Gibson. Just before WWII, Gibson began making the lettering on the logo thicker and this became standard on most prewar instruments.

Right after WWII, the styling of the logo remained but it became slanted once again.

In 1947, the logo that is still in use today made its debut. This logo has a block styling with the "G" having a tail, the "i" dot is touching the "G", the "b" and "o" are open and the "n" is connected at the bottom. The logo is still slanted.

By 1951, the dot on the "i" was no longer connected to the "G."

In 1967, the logo styling became even more squared (pentographed) with the "b" and "o" becoming closed and the "i" dot being removed.

In 1970, Gibson replaced the black tinted piece of wood that had been used on the peghead face with a black fiber that the logo and other peghead inlay were placed into. With the change in peghead facing came a slightly smaller logo lettering.

In 1972, the "i" dot reappeared on the peghead logo.

In 1981, the "n" is connected at the top of the "o."

There are a few models through the years that do not follow this timeline, such as reissues and limited editions, but most of the production instruments can be found with the above feature changes.

Archived