Gibson Brands Forums

The Elgin Gibson Plant

Ignatius

Hey Mark--

Did you ever make it out to find the Gibson string and humbucker plant in Elgin? We need a report!

I'm sorry I've been quiet for a few days. Running up and back to Milwaukee in this weather has been a bear. I don't think I've done so much driving in snow storms in my entire life up to now as I have this winter alone.

Ignatius

I drove by there today and it doesen't look like they are open to the public. Its a large warehouse with a Gibson Gear sign out front.

Thats about it. They do have a Flying V for the main entrance door handle about 3' long.

Security around that area is fairly tight because the FAA has a main location next to Gibson. Lots of cameras and guards. I did'nt

feel safe taking pics, sorry.

I guess well just have to wait for a Nashville trip.

Mark

Hey Mark--

I hear you about the pictures near an FAA location. The last thing I want done is to get caught up in a Patriot Act crisis. Maybe I will swing by to see it on my own someday in the near future.

Say, I was at a GC in Naperville/Aurora yesterday, and I saw a figured top ES-335 Dot in cherry. Is that the guitar model you are aiming to get? It was mighty beautiful, especially when the light hit the figuring in certain ways. The guitar almost seemed to shimmer.

They also had a really beat-up '60s-era 335 for about 7 Gs. It was overflowing with mojo and probably sounds great, but I don't dare even touch that sort of guitar. I will never--I mean never--be able to justify a $7000 guitar to my wife unless I somehow end up making millions with a recording contract.

I take lessons out at Naperville Music. They're good people, and I like them a lot. I have a great teacher: she is teaching me classical, and who knew? I actually am enjoying playing it even though I am using an OM style acoustic, and I never thought in a million years that I would like it. I don't think it will ever shake me off of J.J. Cale or acoustic blues, but I am learning to think about the guitar much more wisely than I have in the past.

Ignatius

Ignatius- When you say your outside Chicago and go to Milwaukee weekly I thought you were a northsider, wriglyview area

I think I played that 335 in Naperville not to long ago. I told a salesman I as interested in a Supreme in Trans-Amber

and he got one in but it didn't feel right and the control knobs were wobbly and oh yea real expensive. Its a nice store.

I did go to Naperville music because they were on the way from my house. nice people but not a guitar store if you

know what I mean.

Was that 7G 335 hanging on the back wall?

I think learning a classical style is like taking a history lesson and the more we know the more we can enjoy our passion.

Its great that you are enjoying a different style. To many of us get in a pattern of playing what easy or popular.

Maybe I'll see you Sunday, I just got the okay from the wife. She first said NO but she thought I said CAR show not GUITAR show!

Mark

Maybe I'll see you Sunday' date=' I just got the okay from the wife. She first said NO but she thought I said CAR show not GUITAR show!

Mark[/quote']

Guitar Show?!? Sunday? What am I missing? You are always a step ahead of me on these things.

Ignatius

Archived