Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone blue label

Wesleeroy

They made that guitar for several years and I'm not sure how to determine the date of build, but I think all were between 1971 and maybe 1984. I think the earlier issues had dot fret marker inlays while later models had the block style. They had a tendacy to fold up after a few years of play due to being designed with a bolt on neck, but I still see some that have held up well. I personally like the higher end series like the EF 350 or EF 360 with a set neck and full heel design and a non adjustable saddle insert. Been hunting a nice example to one with a two piece back for a while now...

Hope this helps,

Mark Keesee

FT145s were built from early 1971 - 1979/1980. Blue labels were used from 1971 - about 1975. Larger, tan colored, 'Lincolnwood" labels were used from about 1975 through the end of production.

Read more detail history >> HERE <<.:

To be sure, there were some "FT" models made in the 1960's, but these were made in Kalamazoo and are much better and pricier than their cheaper cousins. The better models were the FT79, FT110, FT210 and FT120 'Excellente'. Not to be confused with the Norlin era FT120 bolt-on neck, sometimes called a 'Caballero'.

Here's a link to a popular site you may be interested in. >> Epiphone, 1974 catalog <<

So... that puts your FT145 somewhere between '71 and '75. Serial numbers are meaningless as the were anything but serial.

The bodies are laminate through out. They have a bolt-on neck. Sadly this production expedient weakened the neck area and the neck blocks are prone to failure. See my treatise on the mode of failure and my subsequent repair here:

>>> Fixing A Broke Neck Norlin <<<

After many neck blocks were repaired under warranty, the deficiency was mitigated and later models seem to fare better.

SOme Fender models with a bolt-on neck had this same weakness. Fender's field repair involved a threaded, turnbuckle/jack that went from the bottom strap button block to the neck block. This bit of pipe, if you will, was left in place.

HesterClarkandPalomino.jpg

You can see the pipe through the sound hole. btw, the feller in the chair is Hester Clark, daddy of Roy Clark, "Wizard of the 6 string".

Value? Depending on the over all condition and resolution of the neck block issues, $100 - 200. Less if there is top damage.

SOme Fender models with a bolt-on neck had this same weakness. Fender's field repair involved a threaded, turnbuckle/jack that went from the bottom strap button block to the neck block. This bit of pipe, if you will, was left in place.

HesterClarkandPalomino.jpg

I recall the "broomstick" with fondness.

Archived