Gibson Brands Forums

value and year of bass

clevelandjohn

Can anyone tell me for sure what year this bass is ? Its an EB 2D - I'm thinking 1968 or 1969 - but not sure how to figure that out. Does anyone know of an online guide by serial # ? I've read conflicting reports that the Walnut was very rare - but also read that it was an option beginning in 1969. Also, the tuners are different than what I've seen online. Any idea of value ? Its not in great shape - but plays fine (high action in my opinion) and has the original case. One owner bass.

post-53491-066284400 1360629983_thumb.jpg

post-53491-091789600 1360630006_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I believe my EB-2d is a 1969, and it has an adjustable bridge. Earlier ones had a non-adjustable bridge. I can't see what your bridge looks like, but that gives an idea of how they were made. As far as those tuners, if those are stock, they would be later, but I doubt they are stock. I haven't seen too many walnut ones on eBay, but since I own a red one, I pay some attention so I have a vague idea of what kind of money I'm putting on the line when I wave mine around and thump on it. Later ones like yours and mine seem to go for something like $1500 to $2500. I don't think there's much rhyme or reason to prices. It's just what somebody will pay, I guess. I just had mine in for some setup, and a guy at a bass shop locally more or less hurt himself looking at it. He almost didn't want to touch it. Kinda strange to me, since I have had it for 30 years and just started being nicer to it, but I guess they are on the rare side. He seemed to think it was worth a fortune, but who really knows.

Archived