Gibson Brands Forums

ES175 frets: replacement needed?

siav

Hi,

I might be interested in a used ES 175 from the 80s. The guitar is not close to where I live so I cannot try it.

The guitar is really clean and nice but I am quite not sure about the frets.

The guitar has been played and to me the frets seems flat, what do you think? Do they need to be replaced? In that case it is an extra cost of 700Eur in addition.

IMG_0504.jpg

Thanks for your replies.

It's a good pic of the fretboard, but to be honest, I can't see if the frets have any divets or not.

But, the frets seem to have decent materiel left. I also see that some seem higher than others, which is an indication of work being done, either at the factory, or later. It may have had a fret dress.

It's a good pic of the fretboard, but to be honest, I can't see if the frets have any divets or not.

But, the frets seem to have decent materiel left. I also see that some seem higher than others, which is an indication of work being done, either at the factory, or later. It may have had a fret dress.

Yes it seems like the fret near the 12th are more worn by bending actions (?)

Yes it seems like the fret near the 12th are more worn by bending actions (?)

It's hard to say, and I wouldn't guess.

It could also be that's a high spot on the neck, and/or the neck was bowed a bit when the fret dress was done. It could very well be that when the frets were dressed it was done so to take out any imperfections in the neck, or the jiont where it meets the body.

I wouldn't want to guess just based on that pic.

The only relevant question I think would be how much materiel is left for future fret dressings (which translates into how long until a fret replasement is needed), and how straight the neck is overall.

Again, the pic doesn't say enough to get the whole view, but what I can see...looks OK. Not great, but not bad.

It's hard to say, and I wouldn't guess.

It could also be that's a high spot on the neck, and/or the neck was bowed a bit when the fret dress was done. It could very well be that when the frets were dressed it was done so to take out any imperfections in the neck, or the jiont where it meets the body.

I wouldn't want to guess just based on that pic.

The only relevant question I think would be how much materiel is left for future fret dressings (which translates into how long until a fret replasement is needed), and how straight the neck is overall.

Again, the pic doesn't say enough to get the whole view, but what I can see...looks OK. Not great, but not bad.

Ok thanks!

Are you norwegian?

:)

I don't know where you live but Euro700 for a re-fret is way over the top, granted that it is Europe. I wouldn't buy a used guitar from a seller who quotes me this price for a re-fret. Most good luthiers and technicians in the USA charge $300 for a re-fret.

An 80s ES-175 in excellent plus condition is worth about $2000 tops.

Thanks for your replies.

Yes I was wrong, refretting job costs about 300 eur here.

And this guitar is in good condition, but about $2300 and import taxes and shipping will add an extra $650 or $750 on the bill...

Archived