Gibson Brands Forums

Nickle wound strings

20_Gauge

On my 2011 Epiphone Texan acoustic I like a regular old $5.00 set of 80/20 bronze strings, Martin Marque 12's to be exact. They will take 1-2 weeks to brake in and they don't last as long as a coated string will but they sound good to me. After the brake-in period I get about 3 weeks out of them before they become so flat I can't tune them any more, if I don't play as much I may get another week or so out of them. I do clean my strings off after every playing with the rag that comes with Fast Fret and I also put a bit of the Fast Fret on them so they wont rust prematurely. When I first re-string it I may just wipe them off so they brake-in a bit faster, but after a few playings I start using the oil in the Fast Fret applicator thing every time. I've used the Martin string's for years on many different guitars and have alway's gotten good sound from them, tried just about every brand there is but came back to the Marque's every time.

Thanks for weighin' in, Ray. [thumbup]

Yeah, I put a set of $5 Ernie Ball Extra Slinky phosphor bronze strings on my EJ & I am really likin'em. I don't play regularly or "seriously" enough yet, my opinion, to just me shellin' out $14 for1 set of Elixir's(or any strings for that matter).

I've just started using Fast Fret. I prob'ly don't play enough to really need it but hey, I figure anything I can do to prolong my equipment is good.

Archived