Gibson Brands Forums

335 basic satin version tone knob removal

bleggoe

post-33650-084046100 1362393623_thumb.jpg I've tried several approaches to removing the knob in order to tighten a very loose pot locking nut, but nothing I've tried (e.g. cloth around & under knob & pulling) works. Is there some trick to this? Can someone tell me how best to do this or is this model differnt where knobs are not pull off & push on? The datum clip (foto) is so loose now that it rattles as it spins. On the upside, a new set of saddles and a bone nut have worked wonders for this guitar, both tonally and in terms of playability, improving string alignment on the neck (it was too irregular before with the 1st e-string almost at the edge of the neck:.

Help with the knob problem truly appreciated if someone has approriate advice.

cheers all.

The knobs should pull off, like you're saying.

If you can't just pull it off with your fingers, you can try a couple of shoelaces or pieces of string. Loop the strings around the post and pull up with the strings on opposite sides of the knob, so that when you pull up, you're pulling evenly on both sides of the knob.

Many thanks - the string method worked a treat - once I'd made sure that the string was wound around the post ABOVE the datum washer. I suspect that earlier attempts with a basically similar approach but using a microfibre cloth may have failed if the cloth was below rather than above the washer. Anyway, all's fine and thank you very much for the prompt and helpful feedback.

Archived