Gibson Brands Forums

Help with 1964 Gibson LG 0 Acoustic

jcn122

I just bought a 64 LG 0 acoustic on ebay and I'm not sure if it is authentic, it does have a serial number, is there any way i can confirm this? Secondly, I'm not very happy with the tone and projection of the instrument, can anyone help me with perhaps managing my expectations or help give me some perspective etc?

Canada eh?

I fixed up one those recently, and it was absolutely worth it.

You'll need to remove the plastic bridge, don't worry about plugging the extra holes. Order a new one pre=drilled. I mounted the new rosewood bridge facing the right way, leaving an open hole in the top. A couple of old bridge pins (cut short) will hold it perfect while gluing. Practice clamping before you use any glue. Use hot hide glue!

Then I used cabinet scrapers to remove most of the lacquer from the back and top. The scrapers may leave scratches if their corners are not rounded, careful. A friend suggested using steel wool after I was finished, but that stuff could maybe leave behind some residue in the lacquer?

Some of the braces inside mine needed re gluing. They probably would've benefited from thinning the ends a bit. More bass? I left them alone cause it's not my guitar.

New bone nut and saddle.

New tuners from Stuart MacDonald. The holes needed to be slightly reamed, but tapping in the bushings with a tight fit seemed to work really well.

I cleaned up the fingerboard with scrapers and paper, and filed the sides of the frets a bit,

Then I washed the whole top with a dilute hide glue and left it to dry with a new pick guard.

Strap holder and new end pin.

A website called "frets.com" has some great photos of their expert repair work that you can refer to. It was a lot of work, for sure, but I spent less than 200 US on parts.

The guitar was transformed. It was much louder, with a sweet tone. For me though, the nut is a bit narrow on that model and if I did it all over I would convert it to an 8 string mandocello.

Regards

Archived