Gibson Brands Forums

Anyone Bought the New 'Benchmark '63 ES-335' Yet?

bluezguy

I'm intrigued by the new BurstBuckers using Alnico 3 magnets. Does anyone have any specs on these pickups like windings, wax potting, any other things different about them? I bought BB1 & 2 set for my Les Paul Standard as Gibson's marketing said these were the closest replica PAFs made. They use Alnico 2 mags which is contrary to what Seth Lover has stated (in documentation) about those early humbuckers.

Most important, are there any sound clips out there by anyone using this particular instrument? Oddly enough, I've always thought I'd assemble a set of this kind of pup with AL3 .. Now, here it is. Don't get me wrong, I love the stock '57 Classics ... I just want a 'more' era correct pup for the ES335 and I believe this one might be it although info has it that Alnico 4 was the dominant magnet used. All were used ... 2,3,4 &5s ... waz happenin' ????

• 1 month later...

I'm intrigued by the new BurstBuckers using Alnico 3 magnets. Does anyone have any specs on these pickups like windings, wax potting, any other things different about them? I bought BB1 & 2 set for my Les Paul Standard as Gibson's marketing said these were the closest replica PAFs made. They use Alnico 2 mags which is contrary to what Seth Lover has stated (in documentation) about those early humbuckers.

Most important, are there any sound clips out there by anyone using this particular instrument? Oddly enough, I've always thought I'd assemble a set of this kind of pup with AL3 .. Now, here it is. Don't get me wrong, I love the stock '57 Classics ... I just want a 'more' era correct pup for the ES335 and I believe this one might be it although info has it that Alnico 4 was the dominant magnet used. All were used ... 2,3,4 &5s ... waz happenin' ????

Personally, '57 Classics are the way to go.

I have 2 "es335", and one "es355, and they all have '57s

•  
  • One is '63 that had BurstBuckers. After 2 weeks, I got myself a match pair of '57's. For the life of me, that is the perfect combination for blues... Very balanced!
  • The other 335 is a stock "Dot" plain top with factory installed '57's. Very nice too... Punchier on the bridge side of things.
  • I gave my 355 a setup similar to a LP "Traditional": '57 at the neck, '57+ at the bridge... That's my R'n R machine!!!!

... My 2 cents!

Cheers,

.m

Archived