Gibson Brands Forums

Saddle Compensation

cmlawson1413

Hello everyone. New to the forums and also new owner of an AJ-220S VS and have a question already. I'm going to swap out the stock saddle for a bone saddle and wondered if there were any opinions on using a compensated saddle verses a straight saddle. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hi, and welcome! I have found little difference between compensated saddles and non-compensated saddles. Both are good but discerning the difference tonally between the two, for some, is difficult, if not impossible. You will however find a large difference for the better in a bone saddle replacement over the plastic one you have in it presently. I have an AJ220sce with a non-compensated bone saddle and the sound is wonderful, clear and sweet with the bone saddle on these models.You may also wish to replace the plastic pins with ebony pins as I have which make a good difference also. The bone saddle seems to clarify the tone, while the ebony pins seem to enhance the depth and thickness of the tone. Between the two, I have found the perfect tone for my guitar. My model is by the way the same model as yours except that mine is a cut-away, and has an electric pick up. The top is solid, the back and sides laminated mahogany, like yours. It's a wonderful guitar and a great choice! Good luck! My 220 is the guitar on the right side of my picture. My other personal choices for this guitar are light guage .12-.53 Elixir 80/20 nanoweb strings.

Already got the Elixers on. First thing I did. I had always used DRs but kept seeing everyone going on and on about the Elixers so I tried those. WOW, I really like them. Very nice strings. Thanks for your thoughts on the saddles and the advice about the bridge pins. What about the nut? Thinking I might as well change it too. What do you think?

Already got the Elixers on. First thing I did. I had always used DRs but kept seeing everyone going on and on about the Elixers so I tried those. WOW, I really like them. Very nice strings. Thanks for your thoughts on the saddles and the advice about the bridge pins. What about the nut? Thinking I might as well change it too. What do you think?

Yes I think the bone nut would be a good thing to do since you will already have it in for the saddle. These will make your guitar bright and clear, very much so. This is why i use the Ebony wood pins, to balance the crispy bone tone tone, with the lush deepness to balance the overall tone out. Of course they will also likely set it up for you at this time to make it play like butter. The action on my 220 is really good with no buzz up or down the neck. Humidity...for the solid top, should be kept around 48 to 50% to keep it stable. I use an in case hygrometer, and a full room humidifier, but you can also use in case humidifiers...but one thing is sure..a solid sitka top which produces superior tone will always benefit from proper humidity. Not to get off the subject but today after 13 years of using Tortex .73 picks...Yesterday I just tried Dunlop Ultex Sharp .73 picks. WoW!...WOW!.. I will switch to these permanently now. They are really good and glide off the strings like butter and are very clear and clean sounding. Every little bit helps right?!!

Archived