Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Pickup Mods

Davestarr

Hey, so I am looking at doing a ton of pickup Mods to a Les Paul (Coil Splitting, Phase Reversal). So first off my question for you guys is, what are all of the mods I could do to an HH Les Paul? Assuming I have 4 way conducting pickups, what is every last thing I can do to it. I would prefer not to have to cut any holes into my guitar, but what must be done, must be done.

You will need 4x push-pull pots, probably 500k log with the correct shaft length. The wiring you want is equivalent to the old Schecter Z-plus layout which is very similar to the 90s J Page LP wiring which used 4 push-pulls. You get out-of-phase, series, and coil-tap on both p/us, which is about all you can get and no holes in your guitar..

http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiring_resources_guitar_wiring_diagrams/

You have to be good at soldering; I'm not. I have 2 guitars with this configuration and I got an expert electronics guy to do it.

Guest Farnsbarns

Be careful for understand the difference between between coil splitting and coil tapping. People often confuse the two. Tapping involves rewinding the pickups to and adding a new connection halfway along the length of the coil wire to give a much lower (cooler) output where as splitting simply removes one of the coils from a humbucker and makes it single coil. There is nothing stopping you having both.

Archived