Gibson Brands Forums

PU Gibson 490T+490R on Epi Lucille: need change potentiometers ?

Guido-Italy

Hello

On my Epi Lucille I have form a long yime the original Gobson pickups 490T and 490R , but I have leave the originale Epiphone potentiometers.

Do I need change potentiometers of vol and tone with new pot wich have different resistance ? On Epi Lucille original pot are 250K for volume and 500k for tone, on original Gibson model are 100k for tone and 300k for volume, as see below

Epiphone Lucille

epilucille.jpg

Gibson Lucille

http://imageshack.us/a/img543/8050/gisbon.jpg

Wrong pot value can cause a too high signal volume.

Consider that I'm trying to change tone wiring , I try to connect the input signal of tone pot from out ot tone pot to not have a too dark sound when decreasing volume level.

What can you tell me about ?

BYE

Guido

The pickups, the amp, and even the capacitance of the guitar cable all affect the brightness of the sound - and different people might like different tones. There's no right or wrong answer. 500k pots and 0.022 tone caps is a standard recommendation for humbuckers but the best way to figure out what you like best is to get a bunch of different pots and caps and try them all out. Take a cable out through the F-hole to connect to your test circuit.

Treble bleed when you turn down the volume is a separate issue. You can use a resistor and capacitor to help with that but everybody seems to have a slightly different idea how to do it. Again, it's one of those things which depends on the guitar and your own individual preferences so you might want to experiment a bit with different values of resistor and capacitor. Some more info.

Thanks guys !!!

What you say is very interesting. Do I have to consider my Epi Lucille that has varitone as a standard guitar with humbucker without varitone ?

Varitone presence has no influence in volume and tone potentiomenters value ?

Unfortunatelty I don't know that wiring schema I have post is Epiphone original, I wrote to support,but their answer it's not arrive at this moment.

BYE

Guido

I don't have any hands-on experience of treble bleed circuits (although I am going to fit this to my own dot soon, once all the parts arrive). The theory seems to suggest that a tone bleed capacitor & resistor which works nicely with one varitone setting (ie capacitance) might not work so well with another (change in capacitance). See this article discussing the effect of cable capacitance.

Archived