Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-500 recommended strings?

JShack

Fellow Epicureans, Recently, at the suggestion of a friend, I changed the strings on my AJ-500ME guitar. I don't know what strings came w/ the guitar (I bought it new). The new strings that I installed were Martin Marquis Phosphor Bronze Lights (.012 - .054). Immediately I had problems w/ the strings buzzing at the 1st fret and at the 12th - 14th fret area. I have loosened the truss rod several turns and the buzzing is less but not gone entirely. However, now the action is noticably higher which I don't like and I still have to loosen it more if I want to get rid of the buzzing which is now at the 12th/13th on the 2nd & 3rd strings.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever had a similar problem? How did you fix it? What is the recommended guages for an AJ500?

Thanks to anyone with an answer.

Fellow Epicureans, Recently, at the suggestion of a friend, I changed the strings on my AJ-500ME guitar. I don't know what strings came w/ the guitar (I bought it new). The new strings that I installed were Martin Marquis Phosphor Bronze Lights (.012 - .054). Immediately I had problems w/ the strings buzzing at the 1st fret and at the 12th - 14th fret area. I have loosened the truss rod several turns and the buzzing is less but not gone entirely. However, now the action is noticably higher which I don't like and I still have to loosen it more if I want to get rid of the buzzing which is now at the 12th/13th on the 2nd & 3rd strings.

Can anyone tell me if they have ever had a similar problem? How did you fix it? What is the recommended guages for an AJ500?

Thanks to anyone with an answer.

Hello and welcome! I have an AJ-500M and I had tried martin strings .12 to .54 considered lights...but .54 is in fact slightly heavier and one of the other strings were a point higher as well on Martins. It played harder. I removed them and used Elixir nanoweb 80/20 lights (.12 to .53) These worked out better as they are slightly thinner and the 80/20 is less dense than PB's which makes for easier action. I needed also to adjust the truss rod after the Elixirs and am now able to play it with an almost straight neck and much lower action. I also personally prefer Elixir 80/20 sound better, particularly after about 5 hours of play, when they stabalize and remain in excellent tone for months and months of play. The AJ500M is a wonderful guitar! I do recommend (.12 to .53) gauge for this guitar and no heavier as some say it could create too much pressure.

There is no logical reason that I can think of that the new set of strings should cause such problems. Your description of truss rod adjustments and action problems makes me wonder if your knowledge at this time is somewhat lacking, because it sounds like the truss rod has been loosened WAY too much.

Edit: A new set might initially be a bit buzzier than the old and usually settle down quickly, but a dramatic change sounds weird. The strings you installed should be perfectly good.

Joe is right, an over adjustment of the truss rod could quickly cause problems no matter what strings you decide on. Easy does it with a truss rod adjustment. I turn mine no more than 1/8 turn at a time, then wait to see what it does. I try to keep the neck as straight as possible without buzz, but some guitars need a "Slight bow" for playing. The key is in being able to "eye the neck with a trained eye" or truss rod adjustments will likely go out of control. You may also google the following for a large list of links for truss rod adjustment...Google... " ADJUSTING GUITAR TRUSS ROD ACOUSTIC "" ... ..you will come up with a large list of links on how to Eye a neck for straightness, and how to adjust your truss rod safely." Let us know how it goes! Good luck!

Archived