Gibson Brands Forums

Help identifying Steve Jones (Sex Pistols) Les Paul Special.

riot100

Hello,

Steve Jones played a "Gibson Les Paul Special Double Cut" in 1976/77.

I am at present researching and collecting information regarding the Guitars and Amplifiers that the "Sex Pistols" used between 1975 and 1978.

Having trawled through the internet, and obtained the following info:

"...If you look closely at Jone's special, you'll see a custom inlay around the 19th-22nd frets. I would consequently hazard a guess that this guitar is a refinish. The position of the neck pickup indicates that it was made in 1959. They were moved in 1960 closer to the bridge to allow for a stronger neck/body joint..."

What year is this guitar from?

Is the model called "Les Paul Special" or "Gibson SG Special" or "Gibson Les Paul Junior"?

Seeking advice and information (Model, Colour, Year, Pickups, etc) of this particular guitar.

Please find the video of Anarchy (Steve playing this Gibson) & the three photographs below:

Photo: 6th December 1976 - Leeds Polytechnic.

Photo: 21st December 1976 - Woods Centre, Plymouth.

Photo: 21st December 1976 - Woods Centre, Plymouth.

Any help in identifying this guitar would be most appreciated.

All the best.

It appears to be a Les Paul Special (four control knobs)...and it would appear to be a fifties model,but I can't find evidence that they produced them in said colour,which affirms your conviction of a re-spray..

As for the ''inlays'' I have no idea,again somebodies ''custom'' work?..

I have ''read'' that Steve acquired a few guitars for erm,um...er...free...[biggrin] ....so where he got this from?

So all I can hazard a guess at is....Fifties L.P. Special. (customised).You would need a serial number to be more exact.

EDIT=The pickguard and selector switch point to it being a 1959 or 1960 model....again without the serial..................

In addition to the info pauloon has offered-up it might be worth bearing in mind that a re-issue of the double-cut Les Paul Special was released in 1976.

It was called the " '58 Les Paul Special Re-Issue" (as opposed to the single-cut '55 Special LP R-I) and was available in the two-tone sunburst seen in the pictures...

As far as the inlays etc are concerned they would not be regular features.

Good luck with the project!

P.

In addition to the info pauloon has offered-up it might be worth bearing in mind that a re-issue of the double-cut Les Paul Special was released in 1976.

It was called the " '58 Les Paul Special Re-Issue" (as opposed to the single-cut '55 Special LP R-I) and was available in the two-tone sunburst seen in the pictures...

As far as the inlays etc are concerned they would not be regular features.

Good luck with the project!

P.

Did those models not come with bridge and tailpiece?.....again though if somebody has ''tinkered''....sometimes it's easier to feed Nessie nuts than identify these things with any accuracy......

Did those models not come with bridge and tailpiece?.....again though if somebody has ''tinkered''....

Yes; that's why I merely said it's worth bearing in mind...

If I were to hazard a guess I'd go down the modded '76 route rather than a re-fin'd original but I don't have any concrete info to back this thought up.

P.

He used it in 75/76 I believe....unless Gibson brought em' out before 76'.questions/answers/answers/questions.

In which case, pauloon, if it is, without a shadow of a doubt, the same guitar he was using in both '75-'76 and '76-'77 two things become blatantly obvious.

Firstly :It can't be a '76 re-issue of the '58.

Secondly : I was right to never take up gambling as a profession.

P.

Many thanks for all your replies - really appreciated that.

I understand this is very had to identify without serial number and Steve Jones input, but makes for interesting research all the same.

A couple of points:

From my "Sex Pistols Photo Archive Site" (https://www.facebook.com/SexPistolsPhotoArchive?ref=hl),

Steve is seen playing this guitar from Nov. 1976 to January 1977.

Notes:

* The colour seems to be Tabacco. (Again seen from the video and photos)

* The guitar is very similiar to a "1959 Les Paul Special Double Cutaway", in that the original models had the neck pickup mounted closer to the neck/body join which resulted in a weak neck join (similar to Steve's guitar here), but as far as I am aware this Tobacco colour was not released then, but only introduced in the 1970's.

* The pickguard and selector switch seem to resemble one from 1959/60.

* Only one Bridge part (is that a wraparound bridge?)

* Custom inlay around the 19th-22nd frets.

* The Re-issue Limited Editions were Tabacco colour but the neck pick up is further into the body, and with a bridge and tailpiece.

Perhaps this guitar is a late '59 / early '60s with a re-spray with modifications???

All the best.

I didn't think I had a snap of the '76 '58 R-I but I do and Steve Jones' is definitely not one of those - the neck is set far far deeper into the body - therefore it's a re-fin'd original.

Apologies for the confusion.

Talking of which....

There seems to be differing views as to which LP Special ('58 - ''59 or '59 - '60) had the selector switch between the 'guard and which had it 'above the knobs & behind the bridge'.

I've just checked four reference books I had to hand and they all have contradicting tales.

The design was changed in '59 and one book had one of each - made approx a week apart - with the two different layouts. But had they captioned them correctly?

Then I had an idea!.....lol!

Here's a link to George Gruhn's Vintage Guitar store inventory.

If you check out items EB6484 and EB6234 you'll see a pair of DC LP Specials; one from '59 and the other from '60.

No chance of there being any mistake as, obviously, Gruhn's will be going by the serial numbers!

http://new.gruhn.com...tory.aspx?Cat=e

As you'll see, the early design had the switch in the 'above knobs...' position and the later design - as per the SJ Special - had it 'twixt guard and knobs.

This contradicts the idea that his guitar had the weaker neck join but there was very little in it as you can see in the pictures.

Incidentally this info re the position means that the guitar illustrated in Gibson's own 1960 catalogue is the older '58 - '59 version and not the '59 - '60. No wonder folks are confused!

So Steve Jones' guitar is a late-'59 or '60 LPDC Special which was, almost certainly, re-fin'd with the '70s 'burst pattern.

P.

Steve Jones is one of the nicest, coolest, real down to earth people I have ever spoken with. I got to speak to him twice when he was on the air on Indie 103.1 FM. I believe he is now on KROQ in Pasadena. You might be able to email him and get information on his gear from the past. I'm tempted to try to contact him again myself. I would not be surprised if I got to speak with him again. The guy is very entertaining and, informative. He is truly a great communicator.

Archived