Gibson Brands Forums

Strings too stiff on 1960 Tribute Plus

PilotGavin

I've put 9's on my 1960 Tribute Plus and I swear they feel like 13's. I've never experienced this before.

Is this normal for Les Paul's or is it possible there's something set up wrong?

The relief and action are really good. In fact textbook Epiphone specs.

Looking forward to some thoughts.

Gavin

Hi Gavin, welcome. Some thoughts- firstly, you say the relief is 'good', is there some measurable relief present, or is the neck dead straight? On some guitars, not all, having no relief, a dead straight neck, can make the neck stiffer. (In my humble opinion, etc.) This stiffness makes the strings feel tighter as there is less give in the neck during string bending. On one of my guitars this effect is particularly noticeable. I've talked to other people about this, so I don't think it's my imagination. If there is relief in your neck, you may possibly just have a particularly stiff neck.

Second, the height of the tailpiece and the angle of the strings over the nut. Some people like to keep the tailpiece down but run the strings through from the front, and up over the top to reduce this break angle.

Third, check the string contact points, i.e. saddles and nut, are lubricated with Nut Sauce or pencil lead scrapings.

Fourth and last, how is the nut. String height over the first fret when held down between the second and third frets should be tiny.

Archived