Gibson Brands Forums

New to me 1990 J45 -- Fullerplast? Paddle cut Neck?

luke3026

So I've been casually searching for a Gibson J45 for a while now, and one pops up for sale not too far from me so I go see it. It looks great, feels great, sounds great, with the classic Gibson sound I've been looking for. Price was right, so I buy it. Serial number dates it to June, 20, 1990, an early Bozeman model. So now I'm reading up on Fullerplast and paddle cut necks and it gets me to worrying. Being a mid-year 1990 guitar, I'm assuming it's Fullerplast. I can't really tell but if you look really closely, I suppose there is a feint "orange peel" look to it. Is this really a tone-killer? I've read threads on these and other forums criticizing Fullerplast, but very little talk on it's actual affect on tone.

And the paddle cut neck -- difficult and expensive to reset? This guitar is almost 25 years old and the neck shows no signs of needing a reset, but still.

I'm sure I'm overthinking this to a large degree, but are these really things to worry about?

Your guitar is Fullerplast. It isn't a tone killer finish it's just not easy to repair when damaged. Please don't try to refinish your guitar as you will ruin the guitar. If you feel you can't live with it just sell it and buy a guitar that you like. Many would kill to have that guitar.

The paddle cut was designed to eliminate the need for neck resets. You will probably never need one. Gibson quit using it as it was too costly to produce on their production line. If you do need the neck reset it can be removed as easily as any other dovetail neck joint. You just need to find a luthier that knows what the paddle cut is and how it works.

You have a great guitar from a wonderful era of Gibson history. Congrats.

Thanks, Hogeye. That's what I wanted to know. The finish has a couple nicks here and there and a small finish crack on the on the back. But nothing I can't live with so repairing the finish is a non-issue for me (I don't mind a little honest wear on my guitars). So as long as it doesn't negatively influence the sound of the guitar, I'm fine with it. And I took measurements and the neck angle is perfect at the moment, so I think I'm in good shape.

Like I said, I tend to overthink and over-research things. So I guess it's time to shut up, play the thing and be happy.

I'll post some pics later tonight. And I love the original funky brown/pink case with the weird extra flap of padding.

I think RAR said in the past…that these early Bozeman acoustics were completely hand build, pre-CNC machines…a real luthier built guitar, where they made every part by hand...…I think you got a good one!!! Weren't Kopp and Walker working at the factory at these times?

Archived