Gibson Brands Forums

Painfull modifications :) Roy Smeck content

kapepper

Doesn't actually look too horrendous - a shame there will be holes after the tailpiece is removed but my old Martin 0-17 had the same mood at one point and I don't see the holes unless I look for them so it shouldn't be a big deal. Could be an affordable route into a Smeck for someone.

Looks like a beautiful project. There are plenty of necks that have been reduced in profile/depth, but to see one slimmed in that way is ... very creative. A perfect candidate to remove the once huge 2.25" neck and to have a more playable size made. Didn't Tom B (tpbiii) set aside his original neck, and have a new one made for his Smeck? Have a new bridge made, and who cares about the holes for the tailpiece.

This is worth checking out somehow, not many of these show up locally for you I would bet. Looks like it will obviously need a new bridge, possibly a new bridge plate, The neck sure looks "custom", I'm not sure where you'd find one to swap, and the labor will not come cheap - interesting find.

62burst, you have sharper eyes than I do - I didn't even notice the fingerboard. But you're right, lots of people reneck these to convert anyway, so a reneck wouldn't be a big deal. And you could make a cool ornament of of the original headstock.

Archived